Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Burglar Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burglar Alarm

We've had a rash of break-ins in our neighborhood, so I called around and got some estimates for alarm systems. They were all pretty high, and monitoring was very expensive.
    I looked into DIY systems, and they all seemed unwieldly.
    I found this system - SimpliSafe - which I bought. It's completely customizable, super easy to install, and monitoring is pretty reasonable. It's also cellular based, so they can't cut your phone line and cut off the alarm. Fire and CO monitors aren't yet available - they expect to have them in October. I've had it for a week so far, no complaints yet. All controllable through your computer, too.
    If you're interested, I'll email you a link, then I get a month free and you get 5% off.
    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
    Let's go Mets!

Email me a link. Dh and I just talked about this
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Me too please we have also been talking about this and this looks very reasonable!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

yes, well what I neglected to mention is I'll need your email - PM me.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Remember to talk to your homeowners once it's up and running. Ours pretty much pays for itself in savings. Also, for those of you who are 1099 employees, if you need to have patient info at home, you may be able to deduct the cost of installation and monitoring.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Our homeowner's is deducting $3 a year for the system. amazing, huh?
            Once we get the smoke alarm, it will go up to $45 a year.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Me.

heidi (at) midfloridaortho (dot) com.

Thanks!
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

How is the alarm system working out? Dh was asking about it, we still have not gotten one yet.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Me too! Sending you my email.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It was working great! Until we got a cat. I hate the cat for lots of reasons, but the motion detectors need to be flipped over to accomodate him, and I haven't done that yet. Anyway, we never turn on the alarm now, and I'm thinking of stopping monitoring service. (the really nice thing about simplisafe is there's no minimum period to subscribe to their monitoring).
                    DW turned it on once when she left the house and the cat triggered the motion detector, and the cops came. So at least we know it works.
                    They do say that for pets over a certain weight you can turn the detectors over and it's supposed to be OK...who knows.
                    Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                    Let's go Mets!

Comment

Do you have any perimeter alarms (like on doors, windows, etc)? We only set the parameter alarms so that pets can't trigger them. That's also what I set at night so that the kids don't set it off if they get up to go potty.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Growing up we had an alarm system - motion sensors were turned "off" when the house was armed at night. The dog stayed in the basement when we were gone, so he didn't trip the sensors during the day. We had door but not window alarms (except on the basement windows - those were armed)
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yeah, we have sensors on the doors, and I guess I should turn them on at night.
                          I've also thought about locking the cat in the basement while we're out so I can use the motion detectors - I just don't have the heart - he really likes basking in the sun on the windowsills (yeah I hate him but I don't want to be mean to him...)
                          The system is really cool - you turn on and off the components online.
                          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                          Let's go Mets!

Comment

Working...
                          X