Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Home Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Improvement

After a few months of craziness, broken cars, and bug scares, I'm ready to start working in our house again. Then key fore is using what I have or keeping it cheap. Almost everything in our house is craigslisted or hand me downs, so we have done pretty good so far. I'd like to do a lot with paint color. So can I get feedback? Feel free to hijack with your own design dilemmas.

I'm relatively happy with our master, but I want to get rid of the awful beige and find something for over the desk. I'm thinking a large mirror-round or rectangle. We do have a matching sort of nightstand but it Is in another room right now. I don't have a matching lamp, so I plan to use that one elsewhere and get matching ones with glass bases. The pack and play is finally going up to the attic soon too!!!

Any paint color ideas? I want a brown or other neutral, but I don't want it to be too dark.

This is the color the attached bath will be when I get around to painting it

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I'm going to be no help but I think the color in your master is nice. I would spend the money on a nice bed skirt or even paint the three cabinets you show in the pics.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Haha everyone says that about the color. I just can't stand blah beige. The cabinets are actually my moms solid oak bedroom set on extended loan. So even though they are 80s yellowish, they are staying that way.

I actually have a matching bed skirt that was taken off during the bug scare
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        Haha everyone says that about the color. I just can't stand blah beige. The cabinets are actually my moms solid oak bedroom set on extended loan. So even though they are 80s yellowish, they are staying that way.

I actually have a matching bed skirt that was taken off during the bug scare
        If you can't paint the cabinets, I would do something with at least that wall - maybe pull a color from the bedspread? I would even take a drawer or something with when you go to pick paint. Maybe do a bold color and then something more subdued around the rest of the room? I'm no help - our house is beige
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I guess I don't see your walls as beige so maybe it's the pics. I like Jen's idea of going bold with one wall.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Can you make a headboard for the bed? http://www.thriftyandchic.com/2010/1...headboard.html Check this one out. I think that would help a lot on that wall.

For color, it just depends on what you like. I tend to like the browns and earth tones, but that's just me. I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a ton of swatches, bring them home, hold them up to the wall, and decide what you like based on that. It should compliment the bathroom, so get something with a green note in it though it doesn't need to be obvious, it shouldn't clash, KWIM?
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Would it be ok if you put a darker stain color over the cabinets? Something that would match the other pieces in your room? Our bed is a darker wood. Last year MIL bought us a dresser set for our master because we didn't have dressers in our room. The dresser set was from a second hand shop and a great deal for the quality! We didn't like the color and she wanted it to match our bed. She slightly sanded the dressers then bought a dark stain and cloth rubbed it on. I didn't know it could be that easy! I always thought you had to totally strip the wood, but she showed me a easy way to do it in a day. Would your mom be ok with you not painting it, but changing the color finish? I don't like the way wood looks when its painted over. I like wood to look like wood.

Also, where did you get the shower curtain? Can you link it here?
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Hmm it's sealed so I'm not sure about staining. It's also got 2 more pieces still at my moms. After all the furniture repainting I did a few years ago, I'm kind of over it.

The shower curtain is World Market. Ill look for a link when I'm not on my phone. I love it!

Comment

I love it too and I want it! lol!

I hear you about the furniture thing. Note that I said my MIL did all the work last year. Not me. haha! I was looking at the pic again. What if you went and bought some cute new pulls and handles for it?
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Whatever color you go with make sure it has NO yellow tone in it. That will just further highlight the yellow tone of the furniture.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm with you on the furniture refinishing. I did S's bedroom set this summer and I am so over it all. I still have to do my dresser and a vintage table that I found for the living room and I am dreading it.
                      Kris

Comment

Working...
                      X