Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Laundry Routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Routine

What is your laundry routine? I do all of my laundry one day/week. There are usually 3 loads of clothes and 1-2 loads of towels/sheets depending on the week. I start in the morning and 99% of the time its all folded and put away before I go to bed. Am I a freak?

I know the kids don't get as much attention that day but they have other things they do and they do help me with sorting, etc.

I keep hearing women have these conversation about how they do laundry every day, like a load a day, or more. I know there are only 4 of us and some of these women have larger families but some don't - where do all of these clothes come from?

I'm seriously stumped every time this comes up - I HATE doing laundry so I get it all done in one day so that I don't have to think about it until the next week...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I do the same thing you do -- once a week, and sometimes even every two weeks. It's just the two of us, and we both have closets full of clothes, so we don't need to do it more often than that.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

One day a week. And it is still a lot.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

One load a day -- sometimes MORE. Staggering, I know. Adult sized kids though means larger loads of laundry. Smelly teen boy in daily practice for sports means two outfits a day - at least. Teen girl, often two outfits a day if she just shoves the clothing rejects in her laundry basket instead of putting them away afterwards. Add her ballet gear (thankfully no sports for her). Also, both have full sized beds and four pillow - and shower every day - so more linen laundry as well. Husband also does scrubs (yes he brings them home, boo) and an "after work" casual outfit of jeans and t shirt.

It sucks!!!!!
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Dh does it all, because he hates the way I wash clothes... . He does one load twice/week.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I do all of DH's and my laundry in one day, but I usually end up running the kids' laundry twice a week. For them, I put everything in a load together (not sorting colors from whites unless it's something that hasn't been washed before). They don't have enough pants, bibs, and pajamas to make it a whole week. I also do cloth diapers, so I run a load of those about every 2-3 days.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I do daily laundry, and right now I'm well behind because I've done a great job with washing and drying, but not so much with folding, hanging, sorting, and putting away.

Everyday, I ask myself, "where does all this laundry come from?" Five beds worth of sheets, two kids that are so messy, they often wear two outfits a day (one of those is potty training, sometimes she wears four outfits a day), I wash hand towels daily from the kitchen and three bathrooms, DH often wears two outfits in a day, and I wear one. PJs for all, and any laundry that comes from spilling, etc. My youngest needs her coat washed WEEKLY. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that maybe I"m also completely neurotic.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Or maybe I'm just messy! I can't get away with less then once a week because poor Robert would have no clothes, the other 3 of us are more then covered. I also RARELY let the kids change their clothes during the day, if they get messy at a meal I clean it up best I can and figure they're a kid!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Preschool is in the afternoon, so I will say that accounts for some of the clothes changing (I try to send them without food all over their clothes). My youngest does things like bath herself in foundation, so that explains her. You just inspired me to fold some laundry while I watch some election coverage and let the kids veg.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I wash one load/day. Everyone brings their laundry to the washer in the morning and I sort, toss in a load of whichever category is largest (usually darks) and transfer to the dryer before we leave for the day. I keep two "clean laundry" baskets in the laundry room -- one for the boys and one for me and DrK -- as well as hangers. As I take clothes out of the dryer, I hang DrK's shirts on the back of the laundry room door and fold the rest on top of the washer. Then the clothes in the "clean" baskets are taken back to the bedrooms. Sometimes I let the clean folded clothes pile up in the baskets for a couple days. On Tuesdays, I also wash sheets and towels so I end up doing 2-3 loads then. About once a week, I also wash a load of rags and dishtowels. We have a large capacity washer and dryer but I nearly always have a full load each morning. If I skip a day, the laundry multiplies.

I don't like laundry either but it's really easy to wash one load a day. The only certanties in life that are death and laundry.
                    Last edited by MrsK; 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Once/week, usually 2-3 loads. Hospital-washed scrubs helps a lot.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I used to do it once a week but that was when I had to use a laundry mat. Now that I have my own machines in my house I do about three/four loads a week. Basically when the basket is full or we need something.
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH hates for the baskets to get full. He also likes conventional fabric softener sheets in the dryer and I hate them; hubby wears casual clothes -> bike clothes -> work clothes almost daily; my kids' clothes get super messy. I'd say I do at least 3-4 half-full loads of variously separated clothes in a week, plus at least one load of rags and/or towels (washed separately, no fabric softener). Sheets and duvet covers for the king-size bed are more than a load by themselves (I do those every week-week and a half). And if I washed less often I would have nothing to wear myself! I only own about 4 pairs of pants, and I'm messy too.

I find I do my folding promptly if the clothes are still warm, and I do the putting-away promptly if I won't let myself start a new load until one of the 3 laundry baskets is freed up. So that's another reason why frequent small loads work for me.
                          Alison

Comment

Once a week, typically 3-4 loads. That includes sheets, towels and the dogs' bedding which all gets washed bi-weekly. There's only two of us so we don't make much of a mess.
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Daily. Boohoo!
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X