Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kitchen Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Remodel

So we want to remodel our kitchen sooner rather then later. It will require taking out a small wall, one that we hope and do not believe is load baring. Otherwise it entails taking out and replacing current cabinetry and counter top and adding a little bit more plus a bar. It does change the layout and does open the kitchen up. The thing is the previous owners had all of the design work done, we have the plans so I'm wondering are we crazy to try and subcontract out pieces ourselves or should we just hire one kitchen contractor and let them do it? I just think we could save money if we pieced it, we seem to be in that are that gets charged more just because of our address but at the same time its a house that was built in the 30's, there could be (and probably will) be issues that come us as we go...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I guess it all depends on if you can find a general contractor you can trust or if you would rather try to find subs on your own. You will need (at a minimum) a plumber, electrician, cabinet guy, drywaller, and possibly flooring guy.

That's assuming that there are no major structural issues. (I really need to stop watching shows like Holmes on Homes...)
    Kris

Comment

We just finished remodeling our kitchen, where we did a lot of the work ourselves. My DH's father is in construction, and he grew up building houses with his dad every summer. So even though he is experienced, being the GC is ALOT of work. I have definitely learned that the GC's earn their pay. A few things we encountered that were challenges- subs not showing up, not finishing the job, asbestos around old pipes- the heating subs stopped work until it was abated, opening walls or pulling up floors to find that led to another job or three, paying subs on completion only to find they did poor work that needed fixing, but they would never come back since they were paid in full. One other thing- we had a design and plans to follow, bu they didn't always mesh, and we had to make changes, if it had been me, I don't think I would have known how to make the adjustments without professional help. I am not sure how much your DH will help- mine did the bulk of the it but I think I could have done it myself, however it would have been slower than it already was, and much more stressful. For example, we lived with no kitchen ceiling, just rafters for a whole summer! The upside is we have a beautiful kitchen that was far less $ to remodel than what is the standard around here.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

It sounds like a major project. I'd hire a general. I can't imagine trying to hunt down no-shows with kids at my feet.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Unless you really enjoy working with subs and have the patience of Job I would hire a licensed, bonded, and insured GC and make sure the other subs he brings in are also licensed, etc. Even with a GC running the job plan for the job to cost 30% more than you planned and take 50% longer. Monday and Friday will be considered holidays and any rain will cause work stoppage (even though the work is being done inside).
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I know you guys are right I just see how much our deck project ended up costing us and just cringe at how much this kitchen is probably going to cost us.

So do we get a general GC who does lots of remodeling, etc. or do we go with a specific kitchen company?

Comment

Can you talk to your neighbors and see what they've done/planning on doing? I would think that the kitchen company would be the way to go since you're dealing with a lot of specific stuff (gas, electrical, plumbing, various clearances for heat dissipation, etc). Either way, you're going to have some legwork to do...

Unless you have other remodel plans for the house - then find a GC that you could work with on future projects.
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'd have at least three estimates - a regular general, kitchen specific, and then one more of either. They should all also have some different ideas for you to consider in terms of materials, etc. ask your neighbors. Here, we have a huge Amish population, and people use them for everything. I wouldn't have even thought to hi that route if u hadn't asked everyone I know here who that use for what.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

One of my good friends just did a kitchen remodel, had an architect draw up plans (which allowed them to save some money and materials) and the architect recommended a few GC who then in turn gave bids for the job.
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

So we have the plans, the ex-wife of the previous owner does kitchen design as a side job. But it's just the sketches and layout, no dimensions. They left two plans and we do like one of them, I'm tempted to call her and see why kind of a deal she would give us on the detail since she's already done the work...but wonder if thy would be weird to have the previous owner working on the project...I'm getting some good names from our neighbor across the street who did theirs last year. They went with a GC but found their own cabinet person but also has the name of another guy they would have used if they were only doing their kitchen, they did it as part of a much larger project.

Comment

It can't hurt to call her - she may also have recommendations for who to call.

I would get quotes from several people. Its AMAZING the difference in price you will get... just to have our stair railings replaced I got three quotes, the first one was FIVE times as much as the other two!
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                        It can't hurt to call her - she may also have recommendations for who to call.

I would get quotes from several people. Its AMAZING the difference in price you will get... just to have our stair railings replaced I got three quotes, the first one was FIVE times as much as the other two!
                        I've seen this too from people who don't want a specific job. They quote something absurdly high so you won't choose them.
                        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                          I've seen this too from people who don't want a specific job. They quote something absurdly high so you won't choose them.
                          Very, VERY common. It's their way of saying "no" while avoiding looking like a giant asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                            Here's the odd thing - he followed up though and tried to encourage me to go with him. He even suggested putting up a wall instead of a new railing which he could have done for closer to the other contractors quotes. I think he was just used to working for higher end home owners....
                            Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I always seem to have one quote that is ay out there.
                              I'm a contractor / consultant myself. If I can do the job, but I really dont want to I think to myself: "OK, for how much would I do the job"?
                              I usually quote my rate plus 50% and expenses.

It also tells me how serious they are about my skill set or if they are just shopping.

Comment

Working...
                              X