Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Living Room Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could have the mantle shortened and put the TV over the fireplace, I think that's your best option. You could have wiring added above the fireplace at the same time so you wouldn't have to see any cords.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
      If you could have the mantle shortened and put the TV over the fireplace, I think that's your best option. You could have wiring added above the fireplace at the same time so you wouldn't have to see any cords.
      Yes this. We have a similar room. TV over fireplace, sofas on either side of fireplace and two occasional chairs centered on the fireplace. Gives us room to seat 8 comfortably.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
        What about converting the downstairs fireplace to a fake log one?
        Because of the way the house is built/where the gas comes into the house its cost prohibitive to run gas to the downstairs fireplace.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I haven't thrown the shortening idea out to DH yet, I will have to do that. May also try J's recommendation this weekend. DH is home so we may try some rearranging. I'd like to get some ideas/solution so I can shop for new furniture, we've had this couch/chair since the beginning of residency and its beginning to show its age.

Comment

Here is what it looks like now - wow it is really dark this time of day. Definitely need lighter furniture!

DSC05125.JPG

DSC05126.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              Because of the way the house is built/where the gas comes into the house its cost prohibitive to run gas to the downstairs fireplace.
              Gotcha!
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

First, I love your house. That crown molding is beautiful. As for the layout, I like Pollyanna's setup. Would you have enough room for two sofas like that? I can't tell how wide the room is.

Comment

I think the room is 13-14' wide so yes, there would be room. We have one couch perpendicular to the fire place now and its fine but with the TV opposite its not exactly a good flow.

So I guess the next question is who the heck would you hire to cut down a mantle? I don't want to lose the look of it, its beautiful, its original and I really just want to take about 9" off of it...

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    I think the room is 13-14' wide so yes, there would be room. We have one couch perpendicular to the fire place now and its fine but with the TV opposite its not exactly a good flow.

So I guess the next question is who the heck would you hire to cut down a mantle? I don't want to lose the look of it, its beautiful, its original and I really just want to take about 9" off of it...
                    I would ask around for a really good finish carpenter. Call some of the high end builders and ask who they use. Finish carpentry is an art, you want someone really good.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                    X