Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Houseflies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houseflies

I have two flies living in my kitchen (at least I think/hope there are only two). They've been driving me nuts and I cannot get rid of them. What do you recommend? Other than Raid? I'd prefer not to spray insecticide where my children eat.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Fly swatter?
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Tried it. I'm hoping for some clever home remedy.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Tried it. I'm hoping for some clever home remedy.
        You just can't catch them with the swatter? You can set out a few cups of water. Some people try bags of water with pennies in it. I'd just lay in wait, lol. Oh, you can get them with hairspray then get 'em with the swatter
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I know they're ugly as sin, but those hanging fly paper twirly things work alarmingly well. Maybe it will allow you to avoid introducing any more chemicals than necessary into the house and also prevent the KBoys from "accidentally" sticking themselves (or each other) to fly paper whenever you try to sneak 30 seconds to use the bathroom?

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            I know they're ugly as sin, but those hanging fly paper twirly things work alarmingly well. Maybe it will allow you to avoid introducing any more chemicals than necessary into the house and also prevent the KBoys from "accidentally" sticking themselves (or each other) to fly paper whenever you try to sneak 30 seconds to use the bathroom?
            No kidding. During those 30 seconds today, K1 unspooled and flushed two rolls of TP down the toilet in the bathroom attached to his bedroom. He was supposed to be napping.

Comment

I set my 3-year old loose with a fly swatter...YMMV. But yea, the flies just showed up a few days ago and are everywhere!
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

PTSD from my fly infestation last year. Ugh.

They slow down after a day or two and are easy to swat into a cup of water with a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Ugh! I just discovered where they are coming from and there are a lot more than two. The window that broke in the hail storm last May. The one that our landlord hasn't fixed because he's likely waiting until we move out. Oh, I'm so pissed.

Comment

Get a fly zapper. Electocute those mofos. It's shaped like a fly swatter but takes batteries. That's what we have.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

It sounds harder, but I have better luck swatting them in the air. I think they almost always see the swatted coming when they're standing still, but they can't get away as fast in the air.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X