Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Playroom Decor Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playroom Decor Ideas?

Perhaps someone can help me figure out a simple solution to this. . . in our new place, we are using a former dining room as a playroom for our children. Aside from the obvious childproofing stuff that we are doing, we have to make some modifications to make sure our boys don't destroy the room. We are, for instance, removing curtains, replacing a hanging light fixture with something less fragile. Our landlord appears to be very attached to the wallpaper in the house. It's circa 1982 Laura Ashley type florals (ugly). The dining room is predominantly burgundy with a peach fruit-themed chair rail and floral wainscoting. (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wu5pvb&s=5#.UjtLskCTi1g). The paper was peeling off the walls when we were last there and our landlord was given the option to either take it down and paint or glue it back. She's elected to glue it back. So, now I have to worry about protecting her gawd-awful wallpaper from destruction at the hands of the K Bros.

I was thinking that I could cover it up somehow with wallpaper, banners, posters? I don't think removable/renter's wallpaper will work over wallpaper since it needs to be dampened. Should I just put up tag board and educational posters with painter's tape? Whatever I put up, I have to take down and I'm reluctant to use staples or tacks since it is a playroom.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Could you put low storage along all the walls to keep them away? My biggest fear would be if they find a little piece sticking out and start picking/pulling...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
      Could you put low storage along all the walls to keep them away? My biggest fear would be if they find a little piece sticking out and start picking/pulling...
      I doubt I could do the whole room. They have some 12" cube/cubbies for toys, a small table w/ chairs, and lots of plastic buckets for toys. Also, anything like that is going to be climbed on and wrestled against so there is a whole other childproofing issue there with the cubbies. (We have them in a recessed closet now.) If I pad the corners, then the cubbies don't slde in.
      Last edited by MrsK; 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Really, the best bet would be if I could make it into an entirely padded room. . .

Comment

Complete with floor drain.
          Kris

Comment

I think posters will be fine. You could even do butcher paper and double it up for added protection.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
              Complete with floor drain.
              LOL I know. I sound like a crazy person. Bear in mind that K2 managed to split his eyebrow open on the tiniest corner molding on the bottom of the vertical banister of our stair case. The one square half-inch of our house that is impossible to childproof. For their playroom, we already installed extra tall gates in the doorway, screwed the heating vent to the floor, removed curtains, installed cleats for the window blind cords (we'll probably replace the blinds all together), replaced all outlets, and screwed plexiglass over the lower panels of the windows after the boys began throwing matchbox cars against the glass. . . DrK and I actually argued about whether it was more of an over-reaction to cover the windows with plexiglass (my solution) or to just prohibit them from having toys in the playroom all together (DrK's solution). I figure that they will be spending unsupervised time in the playroom so I really have to go all out with the childproofing.
              Last edited by MrsK; 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Are you setting up the room like preschool centers or is it a free space for toys?
                Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Centers to a small degree with rotating toys. So, multiple changing uses. Largely free play

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

What about audio insulation (but I think you'd have to see it in person to make sure it's not easily "pickable." The second you posted this, I thought of gymnastics mats, I just think it would be cost prohibitive and I have no clue how you'd mount them and protect the wall simultaneously. Also, I highly recommend putting a one way monitor in there (we have a security-type camera from Costco).
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

What is the LLs plan for when the wallpaper gets ruined?

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        What about audio insulation (but I think you'd have to see it in person to make sure it's not easily "pickable." The second you posted this, I thought of gymnastics mats, I just think it would be cost prohibitive and I have no clue how you'd mount them and protect the wall simultaneously. Also, I highly recommend putting a one way monitor in there (we have a security-type camera from Costco).
                        Oh, believe me, we'll always be in earshot if not directly in sight. That's why it's the dining room off the kitchen and not in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                          What is the LLs plan for when the wallpaper gets ruined?

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                          Keep our deposit and sue for damages?

Comment

We also use our dining room as a playroom, and I love it! It's right next to the kitchen, and it's so easy to keep an eye on them while I'm cooking. I wish I had some advice about the wallpaper. DD pulled some of ours off in our OKC house, but we had to remove it prior to listing it anyway.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

You might need to hit Lowe's and brain storm with a really good sales associate. I can't think of anything to cover the walls that would hold up more than a week.
                              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                              X