Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Little Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Things

Many of us have moved several times for training and have lived in rental homes and with good - enough-for-now furniture.
    What are your best little DIY improvement tips for temporary digs?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

We had to improve kid safety issues at this house. Added chain locks on all the doors that went outside.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Oh, yes. Lots of child proofing. We've also done things like hanging magazine racks and extra hooks in bathrooms, installing little shelves over sinks, hooks in kitchens...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

To me area rugs and curtains instantly make any space feel homey. Both are very portable and can be done on any budget.

Comment

I put up faux tile wallpaper in kitchens. It's pretty easy to remove when you move out, and you can pretend like you have a pretty backsplash! I've also painted 2 apartments, because I can't stand white walls. The first they didn't ding me at all, but the second I got fined because I didn't paint it back.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

A nice handheld shower head from tjmaxx for $30. Beat the pants off the crappy ones in our duplex and this place when we moved in
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I had moved multiple times before even meeting DH, and through the years had of course acquired furniture / art / decorations that made home wherever I lived. We sold all of our furniture before moving to the Midwest and were very fortunate enough to be gifted an entire house (our size house!) hand me downs from my in law's downsizing. We were so grateful for their generosity but it was weird. Not only a new town but then all of a sudden I'm surrounded by all this furniture, artwork, pictures that I'd never seen before. It was like I moved into someone else's home. I love the stuff now but it definitely took over a year to get used to it. So now I know. Home for me is quite literally furniture. !! Haha!

Comment

We put down those sticky floor tiles in the kitchen of our NY apt because the floor was super nasty. That definitely made it feel more like home. We also painted all the walls, and I hung a funky chandelier (not wired in or anything) over the kitchen table.

Comment

Working...
                X