Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Spiders! (Don't worry, no pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiders! (Don't worry, no pics)

Anybody have any spider-repellant suggestions? The spiders are really bad this year. We can't use our patio, as they are everywhere and I find one in my apartment every day. We live on the fourth floor, and our only outdoor access is a patio door that hasn't been opened in weeks (due to the nastiness outside). We also haven't opened a window since late-June, in hopes that would keep them out. Anyway, it's effing gross. I've contacted our landlord about the indoor pest control, but I'd really like to be able to use our tiny outdoor space.

Any tips for keeping them from making our balcony their home? We don't have anything stored out there except for a grill, a dead plant (that I'll get rid of as soon as I can go outside without having to first vacuum a path), and an uncomfortable metal chair. We used to go outside and destroy their webs every morning, but gave up. Oh, and there is no outdoor light on our balcony, so it's not like they're drawn to that, and we live in a former industrial area, so there aren't any trees within 100 yard or so.

At this point, I'll try anything!
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

no suggestions but the spiders here are weird. and creepy.

Comment

I swear they are everywhere in my hood this summer!!! Are they bad by you? It's not like it's been super warm or anything!

The beginning of the summer, we also had a seagull problem...I wish those fuckers would at least eat the spiders!!!!

Sometimes I think we live in bizarro world.

Comment

Although, I'm going to tell R that I found a bunch of them in his office/place where he throws all of his clothes on the floor like a teenage girl.

Maybe that'll inspire him to clean up after himself. Sometimes lying is okay, right?

Comment

Monthly treatments from Bug Authority, that's our solution
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

No advice but wanted to wish you luck. Spiders skeeve me out. They're drawn to my bathroom and I had to kill 2 this week.

Comment

Weird...in the burbs we haven't had any spider issues at all. We've been enjoying our porch since we moved in. You're welcome to visit!

When I lived in another city, we had a millllllllion of the bastards. I had no solution other than my vacuum cleaner on a daily basis. And I comforted myself with thinking about all the other bugs they were eating.
              wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                Although, I'm going to tell R that I found a bunch of them in his office/place where he throws all of his clothes on the floor like a teenage girl.

Maybe that'll inspire him to clean up after himself. Sometimes lying is okay, right?
                This is brilliant. Not bad at all!!!

The things we have I'm not even sure I'd call spiders. They're like straight out of a Frank Herbert novel. Ghostly pale, million and one legs, and really FAST. But it isn't as bad as what you're describing. Very strange you're having such a problem, and on the 4th floor in what I assume is a new/renovated building? Very weird.

I would just pester my landlord until they did something about it.

Comment

I would have to move out! Only sort of kidding. I would also pester the landlord ... or hire my own pest control company to come out (and I'd stay in a hotel until I was sure the buggers were dead!)

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We have SO MANY spiders around our house. I hired a professional company at the beginning of the summer, but that only held them off for a month or two, and now they're back full force.
                    If you can get your landlord to pay for a monthly exterminator, I'm sure that would work. Otherwise, check out Home Depot. They have a million products that claim to kill spiders.

Comment

Working...
                    X