Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vegetable Gardening (plus a fun fact)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetable Gardening (plus a fun fact)

This year we planted a veritable container garden full of veggies and herbs. We have two banana pepper plants, two tomato plants, one green bell pepper plant, one habanero plant, thyme, rosemary, basil, lavender, and a lime tree. Well, and also the "ancestral cactus" - a cutting from a cactus plant that came from my great-grandparents plant in Italy. Or so the story goes (Italy --> NJ --> NC --> various pieces all over the place).

How long can I expect my vegetable plants to do well/produce stuff? I figured once it gets cooler, they'd die and I would just uproot them/dump them out and start over next year. None of these will come back, right?

Second - is it possible to get my herbs through the winter? I'm pretty sure the basil won't last, but what about thyme? My rosemary moved with us from NC and is thriving, though this past winter seemed to just about kill it.

And while I'm at it - any experience with lavender? Does it just grow slowly? It hasn't seemed to blossom or anything at all, but the green leafy parts have grown substantially and seem healthy. Just no purple flowery parts yet (I'm a novice gardener, can you tell?)

And finally - a fun fact: we have a banana pepper plant in a large pot, which as been sitting next to an habanero plant for the whole summer. The banana peppers have come in wonderfully and DH cut one off to slice up in a salad. Thinking that banana peppers are mild, he threw all the slice in to the salad. A few minutes later he was practically choking from the heat - and this is someone who LOVES spicy food. He had to pick out the rest of the slices and toss them because they were too hot to eat. He was really confused about why the banana peppers were so hot and did some research. Apparently, pepper plants that are in close proximity can cross pollinate, so because the banana pepper plant was right next to the habaneros, it seems the BPs became SUPER hot! I thought that was really interesting.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
    Second - is it possible to get my herbs through the winter? I'm pretty sure the basil won't last, but what about thyme? My rosemary moved with us from NC and is thriving, though this past winter seemed to just about kill it.
    You can try moving your plants indoors through overwintering. Maybe separate each plant in a container? Basil can be quite sensitive though, so any changes need to be gradual.

I've been container gardening for about 2 years now. 1 year of that was in an apartment without a balcony or a patio, so sunlight from the sun was its only light! I did much better the year after though when we moved to an apartment with a balcony. I moved a couple of my plants in then, which made us enjoy more fresh herbs a little bit longer....but they died when I had to leave my plants with DH when I was away overseas. 😅

Comment

Working...
    X