Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Popcorn Ceilings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn Ceilings

The house has about 4000 square feet of popcorn ceilings. It's not the 1960s kind with asbestos; it's 1990s popcorn. I know that removing it is easy but unpleasant. If I do it, I would want to do it before we move in. Otherwise, it probably won't get done at all.

Do I have to remove it all?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I don't think you have to unless you hate it.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I hate textured ceilings. They are not common in Chicagoland where I grew up, but Ohio seems to love them! The previous owners had one room done at a time, as they remodeled. Our entire first floor is smooth ceilings, but two kids' bedrooms, the master bed and bath, and entire finished basement are textured. I didn't really notice until we'd lived here a while. When we priced out the fix, I realized why they had been done one room at a time - it's expensive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of. I definitely want to remove it from the tray ceiling in the master bedroom because I want to paper the ceiling. But I'm wondering about one particular bedroom which has a lower ceiling than the rest and the greatroom. But the greatroom would be the entire first floor.

Comment

I remember standing on a tall bench at my Granny's house and picking it off her ceiling when she wasn't watching... We just left it in our house in OKC, but it was painted solid white, so it wasn't really obvious. I'd just remove it where you want to wallpaper and leave the rest or paint it if you'd like a different look.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
            I remember standing on a tall bench at my Granny's house and picking it off her ceiling when she wasn't watching... We just left it in our house in OKC, but it was painted solid white, so it wasn't really obvious. I'd just remove it where you want to wallpaper and leave the rest or paint it if you'd like a different look.
            Yeah, the K Bros do that too. That's why DrK wants it gone.

Comment

Just did it in our kitchen because we had to seal the giant hole left when we piped gas to the island so I could have a gas stove. It was awful. Yes, there is the expense but even though they tape/cover everything, that fine dust is everywhere. To make it worse, the previus owners were dumb asses and painted the ceiling. Sooo, the workers couldn't just soak and scrape it off...the had to sand it down.

Yes, if you are going to do it, do it all before you move in.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

We have *slight* popcorn ceilings in our house. I say slight because, to me, the texture isn't super noticeable or annoying. I think the previous owners scraped it down a bit before repainting, but didn't remove all the texture. In repainting two of our three bedrooms, you really can't tell it's there.

So with regards to removal, I think it depends upon the level of texture and how comfortable you are with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                X