Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Did you use an interior decorator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you use an interior decorator?

I recently got the name of one and am considering this for next summer. Have you used one? Did you find it helpful? Worth the money?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

We did, and I'm really glad. She just helped us with paint colors, window treatments, and some wall hangings/decor type stuff but in a way that really created a nice flow between the rooms. It all looks really nice and pulled together, which I don't think I would have been able to do on my own (I have no sense for color or design or those sorts of things). She was also really good about working with stuff we already own (furniture, floor treatments, etc), so it wasn't terribly expensive.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Did you use an interior decorator?

I don't have a house yet, but I was just at a good friends new house and she used one. Said it was the best decision ever, apparently saved her a ton of cash. She would say "look, I like this $11K restoration hardware couch. Find it for me for under $5K." I think she said she paid around $4K (which is a lot), but thinks it saved her about $30K overall.

They also aren't in medicine - well actually, she is a rep, but her DH is in tech. So they have a ton of cash - and no school debt! Not sure I could really justify it. But I was thrilled that my DH was sitting there for that convo!

Comment

So worth it!!! Our designer ended up saving us a lot of money because she can buy furniture direct. I wish I did this a lot sooner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm saving for one. I just can't pull the whole thing together by myself. There's so many times I've watched HGTV and thought, "Wow, I never thought of that!"
          -Ladybug

Comment

Nope. I've wanted to, but I'm doing okay on my own. Not great, but okay.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
              She would say "look, I like this $11K restoration hardware couch. Find it for me for under $5K."
              LOL. For me it'd be like, "This $18k silk-upholstered antique looks pretty cool, so find me something comfy to put my butt on that costs under $1k." Boom! Savings!

I'm even more hopeless about furniture than about clothing. For which reason I do think I'd like to get advice from a pro when we decide an interior decorating overhaul is in the budget. It won't be for a while though.
              Alison

Comment

What exactly does an interior decorator do? Do you just show them areas of the house you want decorated and they give you suggestions or do they have deals with contractors/furniture businesses?

If I had a decorator, would they come up with ideas and help me to put things into place?

Kris

Comment

So far, I'm going it alone. My philosophy is that if you only put things that you love in your home, everything will blend together. For instance, you will find that you gravitate to certain colors, patterns, shapes. Maybe you like red or stripes or dark woods. Anyway, I might get a consultation at some point just to polish things up a bit or to help with some problem solving. My understanding is that you can hire a decorator for a consultation and pay by the hour or you can hire them to do everything or anything in between. My MIL always uses decorators and lets them do whatever they want. She literally goes on vacation and comes home to a new kitchen/bedroom/living room whatever. As a result, I think her rooms look very impersonal though beautiful in a "the art matches the sofa" sort of way and she really doesn't know what she personally likes. If you want to hire a decorator, I recommend that you discuss your family's needs, share pictures of things that you like, point out favorite items in your home, and so forth to make the space your own.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                    What exactly does an interior decorator do? Do you just show them areas of the house you want decorated and they give you suggestions or do they have deals with contractors/furniture businesses?

If I had a decorator, would they come up with ideas and help me to put things into place?

Kris
                    I don't know if this is how they usually work, but when we consulted with my SIL she asked for the dimensions of our room and asked me a few questions about color preferences and aesthetics and where we wanted the focal point. She came back with a sketch of the room with examples of how it should be furnished, with specific notes like "you need matching chairs here" or "make sure to get a sofa that is short enough to fit here" and "a rug exactly this size will bring the seating area together." Our room was an odd shape and she felt this was the only arrangement that would work well; it sounded like she sketched out a few options and normally would have shared all of them. Then she also gave us a palette built from a Benjamin Moore decorators' pamphlet but expanded a little, with lots of paint chips for suggestions of wall colors, fabric colors, kinds of fabrics, etc.
                    Alison

Comment

What MrsK said.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I just don't have an eye for what goes together At. All. My house looks ridiculously like the display area on a second hand shop. I'm not all about the matching pictures etc, but I would like for my furniture to fit into the room and for there to be a nice matching rug ....

I don't know. Until we get rid of our blasted cats, we might not do anything. They have just destroyed our furniture (and I hate them and love them at the same time). I was sort of over feeling bad about our hodge podge approach to decorating and then we went to our neighbor's house for 500. The house was perfect and she had my dream living room. It was gorgeous (and she is getting rid of the furniture because she doesn't like it ... but dh said we can't take it ..boo hoo). She gave me the name of her decorator.

This is definitely something to think about.

Maybe my home will look put together when I have no more kids and pets. At least 10 years....

Kris

Comment

There are online services now for a lot less. You send them pictures and measurements, and they send you various options.
                          -Ladybug

Comment

We've never used a decorator before because we never really decorated. This time we are. My friend used an e-designer she found in Instagram for her house. I liked her design so much I used her for my girls rooms when we moved. I love them. She stays in your budget and let's you know when things are on sale.
                            Needs

Comment

Here is my 8 year old's design board
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X