Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cleaning bathtubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning bathtubs

Our master bath has a jetted tub. We never use the jets in part because the water sprays but also because they are so dirty. I scrub them out with a toothbrush, but still little bits of flaky crap come into the bath water. If I do turn the jets on, the water fills with colorful flakes.
    It's gross.
    What can I do to get this/keep this cleaner?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I occasionally dump some bleach in after someone's bathed and run the jets. That seems to take care of it. You don't need a whole lot of bleach to be effective.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate jets!!!! I use this stuff. Worked well, but we hardly use the tub because the jets just gross me out, and in the winter we just don't have enough hot water for a bath and two showers. Not using them apparently also makes that fish food like stuff form - so it's still an issue even though we use it like every two months.

Comment

Both great ideas! Thanks!

Kris

Comment

Fill tub over the jets, add 1/4 cup of cascade. Run jets for 15 min on full power. Drain tub. Refill and run for another 15 minutes, drain and clean tub.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I need each of you to come to my house and demonstrate. I'll sit back and watch .... I mean manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
              Fill tub over the jets, add 1/4 cup of cascade. Run jets for 15 min on full power. Drain tub. Refill and run for another 15 minutes, drain and clean tub.
              You have to do the same thing with the stuff I posted. It's a pain in the butt!!!

Comment

Ugh, we have the same problem! We've lived here for almost a year and a half and still can't use our bathtub because of how gross the jets are. I've run so many bottles of Oh Yuk through it, and I moved on to Ahh-Some paste that seems to get even more gunk out, but they still fill up the tub with brown gunk. So gross. I think someday we'll just have to replace it with a non-jetted one.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                  Ugh, we have the same problem! We've lived here for almost a year and a half and still can't use our bathtub because of how gross the jets are. I've run so many bottles of Oh Yuk through it, and I moved on to Ahh-Some paste that seems to get even more gunk out, but they still fill up the tub with brown gunk. So gross. I think someday we'll just have to replace it with a non-jetted one.
                  THIS! Every time I see one in a house, I factor in the cost of replacing it ASAP.... It's so upsetting in a new-ish bathroom.

Comment

I hardly ever used my jetted tub in a past house, I used vinegar each and every time I used the tub for any reason (jets or not). It was usually pretty clean water but I still always took a shower immediately following my bath.
                    wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Cleaning bathtubs

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                      Oh maybe I'll have to progress to ahh-some paste.

Both vinegar and bleach didn't do much for ours.
                      Last edited by JDAZ11; 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                        THIS! Every time I see one in a house, I factor in the cost of replacing it ASAP.... It's so upsetting in a new-ish bathroom.
                        Yes! DrK insisted that he wanted a tub with jets. What a nuisance.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Huh. We don't really have an.issue with ours; I just do the bleach thing because I imagine all sorts of funky biofilm growing in there. Maybe because we have a water softener?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe! Our water isn't as hard as it was in AZ, but it certainly isn't soft. If we owned it, I would absolutely be buying a softener. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

Ditto to Bon Bon...we had one in San Antonio and have one now...never had an issue. I don't use mine often, but love it when I do!
                              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                              X