Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fall lawn cleanup and winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall lawn cleanup and winterizing

We have a much bigger, more complex lawn now. The kids and I are toiling away at the leaves. I fairly certain would could build a small mountain out of leaves. We have 8-10 maples in the front yard, and our back yard is completely surrounded by tall trees for seclusion.

Im calling the sprinkler company to winterized the sprinkler system. I have some dead shrubs that need to be pulled out. Do I doing it now, or can it wait to spring when I'm ready to replace them with a new shrub?

From brief research online it looks like we should fertilize and pull annuals out. What else?

Lawn services look pricey. What do you pay if you use one?

Thx!
    -Ladybug

Dead plants don't care when you pull them.

This may be a bit late for fertilization. You don't want to encourage a flush of tender growth that will just get its tiny nads frozen off. A nutritious mulch might not be a bad idea though -- compost only "works" as a nutrient source when the ambient temps are warm enough for the soil systems to get busy, so it won't release more than your sleepy plants need, but even in the deep cold it can function as a bit of a blanket, protecting fragile roots and whatnot.

No idea about lawn services, but shove those leaves in plastic bags and find someplace to leave them: leaf mold!
    Alison

Comment

Thx! I'll scratch the fertilizer.
      -Ladybug

Comment

We have about ... half-acre? We pay $35 per mowing and $45 per fertilizing.

I agree, probably late for fertilizing but definitely get those leaves up!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We have a fairly small yard, but it's super steep. We pay $50 for total maintenance (mowing/leaf removal/fertilizing) every two weeks.

Comment

How do you winterize sprinklers?
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Forgive me. Never had a home with sprinklers up north.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We've always had a service do it, basically they blow compressed air through the sprinkler heads and through the hoses to flush out any standing water that might freeze.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'd keep your leaves in a bin that gets air circulation or in a big pile out of the way so that it rots. Crushed leaves (if they don't blow away - maybe wet them?) are fantastic mulch for planting beds. If you don't have grass under any trees leave them there. They will break down and provide needed nutrients to the trees. Leave are awesome!

We don't have a lawn service, our yards not super huge but lawn services here seem pricey to me. Anywhere from $35+ per mowing.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                  X