Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

"Safe" space heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Safe" space heaters

So, we're trying to get the nursery set up. We will be in this apartment for 4 1/2 months with DD, and although she will room in with us at night, I'd like the nursery to be a space for naps so that during the daytime she can be in a quieter space with a closed door to keep the cats out, and I can go in and out of my own bedroom as needed. We will be using a portable travel crib/bassinet at first, which can easily move from the BR to the nursery across the hall. The nursery is a teeny tiny room (listed in the apartment posting as "1/2 bedroom") that has one big window and tends to get pretty cold. We will be insulating the window and putting up a curtain, and getting an area rug, but I think it's still going to be chilly in Feb/March/April. I'm wondering what the options are for space heaters that are safer and more efficient than the basic ones. This would ONLY be used for short periods during the day, and never overnight or totally unattended. I am fully aware of the dangers of space heaters, but I'm wondering if there are any out there that would be safe enough to use to warm up the nursery a little bit for nap time. And I'm also aware that it's fine for it to be a bit cool for sleeping, but this room gets TOO cold. It only needs to heat up a tiny little space! Any recommendations?
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

We have two different kind at home that we use and both have worked well to heat only the room we are in. I'll have to look at the brands when I get home and get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I bought that dyson space heater this year (currently on sale at costco - I think $60 off). It hasn't done anYthing to out electric bill, and seems safe from what I've read. Downside is that it was a little over $200 - on sale.

Comment

Watching this thread... our room gets SO COLD at night, but I don't want to raise the thermostat since the rest of the house stays about 5 degrees warmer.

Comment

We just put a register fan in the girls' room and it's great! It really does pull extra air into their room when the heat is running. We also covered their windows with plastic and blackout/insulating curtains.
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
            We just put a register fan in the girls' room and it's great! It really does pull extra air into their room when the heat is running. We also covered their windows with plastic and blackout/insulating curtains.
            Our building is 100+ years old, so we have original cast iron radiators, and apparently the 1/2 room is not big enough to get its own radiator. It's fine if we leave the door open, but when we close the door, which I will be doing to keep the cats out, the temp drops a lot.

I won't miss this old apartment when we move...

Has anyone tried the electric "radiator" style heaters like this? http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW770...s=space+heater

Comment

My mil has one of those. From what I remember, it worked totally fine.

Comment

We have one that we used in the basement of our old house. It worked well but did use a decent amount of electricity. PM me if you want it. We have no use for it in our current house and it would be one less thing to move after fellowship.

Comment

We have that one in out garage and my dad has one in his office. Works well, but takes a bit to get the "temp" correct!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We have one of these http://www.laskoproducts.com/ceramic...-model-751320/ and one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K1ASC2GN4A5CP2. Like I said above, both have worked well for us in medium-small rooms.
                    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

We had the first one you listed, and we had a malfunction with the temperature gauge and the girls woke up at 2am crying because it was over 90* in their room. Worst. Day. Ever.
                      Jen

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                        We had the first one you listed, and we had a malfunction with the temperature gauge and the girls woke up at 2am crying because it was over 90* in their room. Worst. Day. Ever.
                        Wow, that is scary!!

I'm just not sure that there are any safe portable heaters...
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Turns out the best kind of space heater is a free one from a fellow IMSN member! Thanks Bob!

Comment

Awesome!
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Awesome!
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X