Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cloth napkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth napkins

Paper towels are so expensive, especially when you go through something like 2 rolls a week. With a baby who's got reflux, a 5 yo who uses them for who knows what, and me using them for general spills, it's kinda nuts.

And since we've got bibs, burpies, towels, kitchen towels going in the wash almost every day, why not add cloth napkins?

Any recs for nice, reasonably-priced ones that aren't icky slippery and non-absorbent?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I will be watching this thread. I have been wanting to switch to cloth napkins too, but I haven't had much luck when looking for an online vendor of them.
    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Just go to a restaurant supplier online. Tons of napkin options from super fancy to fun checkerboard. My only issue with cloth napkins is that I hate ones that need to be ironed, just don't have time to iron napkins (although it would be a good job for dd12...hmmm)
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I have an assortment: linen (which looks great ironed but is fine wrinkled and shoved in a napkin ring) and polyester blend mostly. I put the dirties in my rag bag and they get washed with a splash of bleach which seems to minimize staining.
        Alison

Comment

So which ones do you like most, Alison? I feel like if they're not absorbent enough we'll hate them, and won't use them pretty quickly.

Comment

I have home made ones. I used cotten toweling, cut and hemmed. Sur la Table has some good Cotten and linen ones, etsy has some too. I stick with 100% Cotten.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Mighty Nest has cute ones that are also sold on etsy.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I love the handle of the linen, and it is more absorbent than the poly blends. But my family doesn't care much about absorbency I don't think, just that they can scrape the biggest chunks off onto something more acceptable than a shirt front.
                Alison

Comment

. I think I'll do 100% cotton, like linen. We are so picky when it comes to this kind of stuff, and there's a definite what gets used first hierarchy with cups, mugs, kitchen towels, ev.ver.y.thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X