Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Carrara Marble.... Ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrara Marble.... Ugh

So our new house has a Carrara marble master bath (and actually a vanity top in the kids bath too - which I'm sure will be a disaster in years to come). So pretty, but such a pain.

The previous owner said it needed to be sealed occasionally, but she didn't say what she used. I also don't know what she cleaned it with. I will ask her, but she just moved too, so trying to give her some time.

Does anyone have Carrara marble? If so, willing to share your tips on cleaning and sealing?

I'm kind of regretting this. I haven't seen another house I would have been willing to buy, but not really the best time in my life for a super high maintenance shower.

Not sure I'm all that excited about being a homeowner! 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it in my kitchen. I haven't done anything to it yet (2years) and it doesn't look so great. Guess I should do some research.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Carrara Marble.... Ugh

Well I'll let you know if the seller responds to me. She did say water can't sit on it. (Wonderful for the shower!). But she didn't tell me what products she had been using. Yesterday the move out cleaners came, and brought their own products since she had left. I swear it doesn't look as good as it did. Plus I'm sure she hasn't sealed since closing. So I'm hesitant to use it until we get it taken care of.

Comment

Not gonna lie, I was excited that my new counters are Corian and not marble, stone sounds like a PITA. :\ But my shower tile is a PITA too, grout desperately needs redone and tile needs sealed, so ah well. Homeownership is like that!

Tub and tile products are usually formulated to be acidic, in order to cut through soap scum and mineral buildup. Unfortunately marble IS a mineral and it HATES acid. If the cleaners used their usual products and tub surface is now etched, and you want to restore a shinier appearance, you are probably going to have to polish it down (removing any kind of sealer) and then re-seal it.

Good news is there are tons of marble-friendly cleaning and sealing products on the market. Shop around at the hardware store, ask someone there for a recommend?
        Alison

Comment

Why would anyone use marble in a house? It is a notoriously finicky stone. There is a reason why it was the choice for Renaissance sculptors.
          Kris

Comment

I just read up on it. You can't stop the wearing/etching of marble. Everything dulls/stains/marks it- water, products/body fluids, etc. For some people it's not a big deal and they like the lived in look. Meh, I love the marble but when we redo the bathroom and kitchen I won't use it. It's true that you can't see the etching from all angles but I've never been a fan of glass rings and other marks. My counter has a lot of them and stains too. I can get the stains out by scrubbing with baking soda but I don't have the time to do it more often than every few months.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Carrara Marble.... Ugh

I have to head to home depot. So I'll ask someone there.

Ours actually looks really good. It's 8 years old. There are just a few of the little tan spots on the counter top (they don't look too bad though). I don't mind the etching. I just don't want to end up with a copper/tan and gray bathroom.

Last edited by JDAZ11; 06-14-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                Why would anyone use marble in a house? It is a notoriously finicky stone. There is a reason why it was the choice for Renaissance sculptors.
                (I meant granite for counters, LOL. But it seems equally as finicky as a household surface.)
                Alison

Comment

My granite is holding up to everything. Love it.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Our corian countertop cracked. And is very sensitive to heat. I'm super excited about the granite that we chose for our kitchen renovation- granite can be sealed really well now and actually low maintenance.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I don't like the standard look of granite but supposedly there is variety out there to choose from. I definitely want heat resistance when we redo our kitchen in a few years. I also like soap stone, but prefer lighter colors. I was going to put Carrara in the bathroom remodel but I've since changed my mind. Between dh who is a major slob and a seven year old I don't want something that looks worn/splotchy.

Comment

I love soap stone too. I think if change countertops in the kitchen, that will probably be my choice.

I've asked three friends with Carrara marble why they use to clean and seal. Not one knows what their cleaning people use and no one has sealed yet. All are one/two year old renovations, so maybe it is sealed better the first time these days.

We have a huge white marble shower in our current rental (has slightly less gray than I would think Carrara has, so not sure if that's what it is). It's original to the building, so over 100 years old. It looks great. A few of the tan spots, but that's all.

Comment

Ok. Well I got some recs. granite gold cleaner/sealer is supposed to be good. As are products from stone care international. I just ordered both. Will see how it goes.

Comment

I clean my granite with a homemade mix containing rubbing alcohol, blue dawn dish soap, water, and sometimes a bit of lemon oil for scent. It's worked very well.
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                            X