Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Awkward rug placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward rug placement

We bought this rug for our old living room, and it looks a bit small in our new room. We have new furniture on the way... The sofa is going to be about the same size and location, the chair is moving to the corner where all the moving boxes are, and there will be a loveseat in the bay window area. The things that are bugging me are the big gap of wood floor over by the fireplace and TV, and the fact that the coffee table is sitting over on the corner of the rug. It looks weird. Any suggestions for rearranging or how to make the rug work? uploadfromtaptalk1435347849489.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435347956583.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435347997604.jpg
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Also, omg please ignore the total disarray of the house.

Comment

This is like a riddle. I know there's a correct answer, but I'm not sure what it is.
      I can't tell how wide the room is. Could you have the couch centered/facing the fireplace with a sofa table behind it, or is the room too narrow?

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
        This is like a riddle. I know there's a correct answer, but I'm not sure what it is.
        I can't tell how wide the room is. Could you have the couch centered/facing the fireplace with a sofa table behind it, or is the room too narrow?
        I think the room is too narrow, there would be no good traffic flow and then the other furniture wouldn't fit. The wall that the sofa is on is the only one long enough for a sofa, if it's going to be up against a wall. The TV is in that corner because of where the cable comes in - which we could potentially change. Sofa is 80" and I think the rug is 7x10. If that helps. I'm so stumped, I might not be able to figure it out until the new furniture comes.

Comment

This is how the previous owners had it arranged, which is basically what we're doing. But they had no rug. 20150407160147623525000000-o.jpg
          Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 06-26-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
            We bought this rug for our old living room, and it looks a bit small in our new room. We have new furniture on the way... The sofa is going to be about the same size and location, the chair is moving to the corner where all the moving boxes are, and there will be a loveseat in the bay window area. The things that are bugging me are the big gap of wood floor over by the fireplace and TV, and the fact that the coffee table is sitting over on the corner of the rug. It looks weird. Any suggestions for rearranging or how to make the rug work? [ATTACH]3184[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3185[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3186[/ATTACH]
            Trying quoting to see if the pictures will pop up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

I suck this stuff. Would it look weird to turn the rug the other way so it was even under the couch/coffee table? It may cut the room weird, and wouldn't solve the problem of space between rug and fireplace.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm stumped. I think you need to start by deciding on a focal point (probably either the fireplace or the large window) and then start centering and arranging the furniture based on that. You might have to keep moving things around until you figure out what works.

Comment

I would make the fireplace the focal point. Wall mount the TV over the fireplace or move it to where the boxes are. Move the rug a couple of feet towards the fireplace along with the couch and coffee table. I can't see if there's a doorway beside the couch or not. Put the armchair beside the couch at an angle or where the TV is now. I would also try moving the couch and loveseat in a little so the front legs are resting on the rug. Not sure how that would look but it may bring the seating together a bit.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                  X