Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

To stack or not the washer and dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To stack or not the washer and dryer

I have a tiny laundry room. It is not a walk in...it is located under the stairwell ...and must remain there because 1)the vent to the outside is there...cannot move it to the garage because there is no room and 2) there is laundry shoot there. The machines (front loaders) reside behind accordion doors (is that what you call those closet type of doors?). Cannot change those either because there is no room for an actual door. Therefore, each time we do laundry, we basically use part of the den because there is no other place to put things. You HAVE to open the accordion doors in order to open the washer or dryer door.

I was thinking about stacking the units. This way it will give me the floor space of the dryer to step in and work. Anyone have their front loaders stacked? If so, any issues doing so that I should consider?
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

I'd worry about having a hard time reaching in whichever is on top, but that's because I'm a shrimp. We have storage on top of ours.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Young House Love did stacked in their second house, and I think Sherry is a shortie. I'm on my phone or I'd look it up.

Comment

I would do it if it were an option. At least one machine would be at a nice height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
          Young House Love did stacked in their second house, and I think Sherry is a shortie. I'm on my phone or I'd look it up.
          Ooh, I can look that up! Thanks!!

For sure I will have to keep a step stool handy to reach the back of the dryer.

Comment

I have a similar set up to what you have and i have stacked my machines. It works fine- no issues here. My machine set came with a stacking kit- some screws and metal pieces to attach them evenly and securely.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
              I have a similar set up to what you have and i have stacked my machines. It works fine- no issues here. My machine set came with a stacking kit- some screws and metal pieces to attach them evenly and securely.
              Great! Sounds like stacking will work - now to figure out how to execute it...may have to visit lowes/HD to see if I can pay someone to install and stack.

Comment

We had movers bring the washer and dryer in and Dh and I stacked them. You put the dryer on top and it's pretty light. We had no trouble putting it up.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

We have stacked units (huge ones, too) and they work well. That said, I think with the machines in a closet space it's usually easier to have them side by side to create a counter on top? We had a closet laundry in a hall in our place in Boston and it worked well as a counter top. Maybe your under stair situation doesn't allow that though.

Ours is in a guest bathroom, and I hate it - but same thing, can't move the hookup easily and lots of bigger issues that prevent us from changing it. When you are doing laundry, the activity really spreads to a larger area than just the machine!

Angie
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                  X