Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Creating outdoor privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating outdoor privacy

DH and I live on the third floor of a three family apartment. We have a very spacious back porch where we like to sit and have dinner when it's nice out or entertain when we have company. We used to have a huge oak tree that gave us lots of privacy. However, they had to repair the driveway which resulted in that tree being taken down. Now it feels really exposed and totally takes away from the nice space we used to have. Our neighbors are nice and everything but their porch is wicked messy, it's full of stuff (old furniture, trash, toys etc) and honestly it's quite an eye sore. We also live 2 houses behind a funeral home so now our porch looks directly into their large parking lot which is kind of awkward during wakes and funerals. So basically our view has gone from a nice tree to messy neighbors and grieving strangers. I want to create some sort of privacy screen. It's just a rental so outdoor shades are too expensive. I was thinking of hanging a wooden lattice and making a screen that way. But then I wonder if it's worth it at all since DH matches next year and unless he matches in Boston we will end up moving and honestly that's looking less and less likely each day. I'll post some pictures of the porch so you can see how it is set up. I'm getting restless and feel the need to change some things around the house and this might satisfy the need. Let me know what you all think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm. My neighbors have a big bamboo screen that they use to enclose their porch. Something like this, but about 6' tall: http://www.walmart.com/ip/43854979

My mom has a similar back condo balcony, views of messy neighbors to either side and TMI view of the house straight in front, and she is going to plant actual, live clumping bamboo in pots to help screen her view.
    Alison

Comment

I've seen people put indoor/outdoor curtains or shades on their patios. Takes up less space than tall potted plants and it can be opened.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

How expensive are the indoor/outdoor curtains though? Everything I've seen is around $50-70/panel and I would need 12 panels. Since right now it's about 70% likely we will move in a year I'm not sure how much I want to spend on it. I thought wooden lattices might be nice and I work for an interior design/hardware and lumber company so I could get it on the cheap, that's just significantly more work than curtains. Which is why I'm questioning if it's even worth it. I just hate staring at my neighbors trash!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsF View Post
          How expensive are the indoor/outdoor curtains though? Everything I've seen is around $50-70/panel and I would need 12 panels. Since right now it's about 70% likely we will move in a year I'm not sure how much I want to spend on it. I thought wooden lattices might be nice and I work for an interior design/hardware and lumber company so I could get it on the cheap, that's just significantly more work than curtains. Which is why I'm questioning if it's even worth it. I just hate staring at my neighbors trash!

This might sound weird but I'd bet you could use shower curtain panels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Ohhhhh that is an idea actually. I bet I could get really creative with that. You may have sparked something here!

Comment

Working...
            X