Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dark Floors vs Light Floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Floors vs Light Floors

We're planning to re-do the floors in the house we're (fingers-crossed) buying, but DH and I are having the hardest time deciding what direction to go in terms of the hardwood color. I feel like dark floors are more on-trend, but lighter floors might be easier to take care of and they're a little more unique. We're planning to do chunky white baseboards and very light gray walls. We don't want anything with yellow, golden, or red tints, and we don't want anything SUPER dark.

Neither of these pictures is our house, I'm just trying to show the two different shades we're deciding between. Any thoughts on hardwood floors? What looks better, will be easier to take care of with kids + dog, etc.? Please share your wisdom!

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 3.16.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 3.18.48 PM.jpg

I like them both! Honestly, they are both medium toned enough (not blonde or almost-black dark) that they should be pretty classic.

Maybe a walnut?

I cannot wait to see what you guys do.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
      We're planning to re-do the floors in the house we're (fingers-crossed) buying, but DH and I are having the hardest time deciding what direction to go in terms of the hardwood color. I feel like dark floors are more on-trend, but lighter floors might be easier to take care of and they're a little more unique. We're planning to do chunky white baseboards and very light gray walls. We don't want anything with yellow, golden, or red tints, and we don't want anything SUPER dark.

Neither of these pictures is our house, I'm just trying to show the two different shades we're deciding between. Any thoughts on hardwood floors? What looks better, will be easier to take care of with kids + dog, etc.? Please share your wisdom!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3483[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3484[/ATTACH]
      Quoting to see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I like lighter floors. I think dark show dirt more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

We have dark wood in our kitchen and they're beautiful but they show absolutely every mark and scuff. They're so hard to keep clean. They are more of a reddish tone with a very glossy finish, which doesn't help at all. I like both of the ones you posted but would probably go with the first one. Definitely make sure it's a real hardwood like walnut that can take a beating and that the finish isn't too glossy. I love dark wood but with pets and kids...so much work.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
            We have dark wood in our kitchen and they're beautiful but they show absolutely every mark and scuff. They're so hard to keep clean. They are more of a reddish tone with a very glossy finish, which doesn't help at all. I like both of the ones you posted but would probably go with the first one. Definitely make sure it's a real hardwood like walnut that can take a beating and that the finish isn't too glossy. I love dark wood but with pets and kids...so much work.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
            I remembered you mentioning that before, and I was thinking about you when we saw some of the darker colored options. Are your floors walnut? Right now we're thinking wide plank oak. With two boys and a crazy dog, I can't handle high maintenance floors.

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1466473175090.jpg Kind of gives you an idea although you can see the gloss much better during the day. Ignore the old cat
              I have no idea what type of wood it is. The previous owners installed it and we didn't think to ask. It's super soft though, everything marks it.
              Oak would be great! I think the more pronounced grain would make wear and tear less obvious too. I've never had walnut floors but our walnut table takes a beating and nothing marks it.
              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I like the lighter. As others have said, dark shows dirt, fur balls, marks, dust, etc soooo easily.

-Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Dark Floors vs Light Floors

MrsC, I wonder if it is pine. My parents have that is some rooms in their house and the graining is similar.

Personally, I am not a fan of oak. While it is durable, the grain can be very pronounced.

I have blond maple floors and I flove them.

This was the best shot that I have on my phone. Ignore the crazy kid in the pic.

With the color variations in the wood, I don't see dirt, but he grain is still very tight. I think these floors are original, from 1942.
                  Kris

Comment

I'm not a biggest fan of oak either but our oak floors sure take a beating, are 86 years old and still look great. I have seen on a wood floor chart about types of wood for flooring that you can get a grade 1 of oak that doesn't have a pronounced grain. There are woods harder than oak too. I would probably go with the hardest that looked good in a medium tone.

Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

We've had both. We had maple for 13 years, and very similar to your lower pic for the last two years. Neither is better than the other. If you are a perfectionist and don't like scratches, dents, or dings on your floor then do not get real wood. Go with a tile or laminate. I would recommend you go with the color you like best. If you want something more forgiving go with the darker stain.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I am so impressed that your DH actually cares! I had our entire front foyer floors refinished and stained a new color and my DH did not notice for three weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                          I am so impressed that your DH actually cares! I had our entire front foyer floors refinished and stained a new color and my DH did not notice for three weeks...
                          OMG he cares way too much. I downloaded the Houzz app on his phone, and now suddenly he has all of these opinions and (crazy) ideas that I have to pretend to take into consideration.

Comment

I like the lighter. We have sort of a medium oak, and I really like it.

Sent from Tapatalk
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Light woods are great for hiding dirt. We looked at a home with beautiful mahogany floors that had been rendered destroyed by a dog and a few kids. Lighter is the way to go unless you have no kids and pets and always wear socks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X