Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Accent tile help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, you're inspiring me. I've hated our master bath since we moved in, but not as much as I hate thinking about organizing the project of redoing it. >.< But…just for the sake of argument…how did you get started with this? Did you consult a designer or go straight to a GC?
    Alison

Comment

This looks really nice! Have you always had an eye for decorating or did you develop it by reading Southern Living?

Comment

Accent tile help

Aww thanks! My parents built three homes growing up and my mom always decorated them herself, chose paint, made curtains, etc. I guess my sisters and I learned from her. It's taken me awhile to figure out my own style.

For a project like this, though, I browse Houzz and Pinterest to get a general idea of what might look good. Then I'll take the general look and translate it into something that specifically suits me (and my budget). It really helps me in choosing looks, paint color, grout color, etc to see it finished in a picture.

So yes, I went straight to a GC with the look I wanted and got a quote. I actually got more quotes 1.5 years ago, but we decided to wait on a project. And then cousins recommended a contractor that had done work for their family for years and the finished project looked great, so I went ahead with them. Hopefully it turns out well.

I'm pretty much getting what I want here, but the main driver for this project is cost. The shower is so bad that it had to be redone before we sell in a few years, and I wanted to enjoy it in the meantime. Redoing the shower tile meant ripping out the shower pan and also the floor ceramic...thus where we are now. I wanted something that wouldn't date quickly and would still match the rest of our house. I'm also trying to keep the total cost under $5k. Labor will be $2400, so far the tile is $900. Still need to buy supplies and new shower hardware. We are on the fence on a glass shower door. I'm pleased so far though--the hex tile was a splurge at $15 sq ft, but I think it will add a lot. Subway tile is dirt cheap and I'm really happy with the wood look at $1.88 a square foot
        Last edited by SoonerTexan; 09-25-2016, 09:58 AM.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Can't wait to see it come together. I love your choices!
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Do my house next? 😜
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Do my house next? ��
              You don't need my help--you guys did your fantastic kitchen 100% on your own.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I would stagger subway tiles, instead of lining up in a straight line. But otherwise, the combo looks great.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh they will be, that was just me shoving them together for a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Things are happening! Pleased with my contractor so far.

Here is the before:

And here we are after demo

It's going to be so much bigger.

I also made the decision to rip out the single vanity and out in a double on the wall opposite the shower...I was on the fence before. So I've spent the last couple days calling and dragging kids to granite remnant places...I think this is what I'm going to end up with

Comment

Yay!! I can't wait to see the finished room!

Comment

We're getting there!

Comment

Love!

Needs

Comment

This makes me want to start ripping out floors and replacing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Looking awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Almost there!

Comment

Working...
                                X