Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chalkboard Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalkboard Paint

Who's used chalkboard paint, and what is it like to live with on walls and/or furniture? Does it get messy? Can your kids really color on it, or is it more just for show?

The house we're buying has an ANCIENT Sub Zero refrigerator with brown panels, but we're planning to paint the kitchen soon after we get there and something will have to be done with the fridge one way or another. I've seen a couple fridges with chalkboard paint on Pinterest, but I can't imagine that would realistically work with young kids running around. (The picture below looks like the same model as ours, just for reference.)

What are your thoughts/opinions on the family-friendliness of chalkboard paint in a living area?? Is it a disaster waiting to happen?

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 1.39.28 PM.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468550361.708976.jpg

I painted a piece of sheet metal and put it in our kitchen for the kids. It gets a little messy sometimes with chalk dust if they are really going at it but it's easy to clean up. We've had it about a year now and there are a couple scratches where the metal shows. I don't really care but it might bother me more if it was my fridge. You might be able to touch up scratches but it was a little tough to make sure the finish was even/there were no lines so touch up may be tricky. Cool idea for an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I painted my (formerly hideous) fridge with chalkboard paint a few years ago and love it. I primed with a magnetic primer so we can still stick things to it as well. We draw up calendars, chore charts, sight words, holiday scenes etc. We use chalkboard markers instead of chalk because I don't want chalk dust in the kitchen and because they seem to work better on a not-perfectly-smooth surface. The markers wipe off of our hardwood floors and painted surfaces pretty well, but I would not want them near upholstery.

Comment

I had to go really searching for this one. We had this in my room back at my MiL house. I absolutely LOVED it! I could plan ahead for three months at a time for hubby and I to be on the same page and just glance at the wall. So sad to have left it. The chalkboard paint was painted directly onto the wall
        wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

Working...
        X