Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby Gates -- When to Remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Gates -- When to Remove?

How old were your kids when you stopping using baby gates at the top & bottom of stairs, and how did you decide it was time to take them down?

I took mine down when I realized it'd been months since I'd shut them and that both kids could open them on their own. So probably before you get to that point. I'd say once they can walk up and down the stairs reliably without falling.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We had gates all over the place in our last house, but it was a 1920s house where the stairs were super steep, all wood, limited rails, etc. Our current rental is just one story, so we haven't needed baby gates at all. Now with the boys being almost 2 and 4, so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth investing in a bunch of gates for the new house when they can already walk up/down stairs on their own. The new stairs are carpeted, but it would still be a LONG fall if they tripped.

Comment

Baby Gates -- When to Remove?

When we moved into our current house R was 2. The only gate we had was at the top of the stairs and it was screwed into the wall and had actually been left by the previous owners. Once they both started opening it we removed it. I really only left it because it was right outside of his doorway and I was afraid he'd fall down the stairs trying to get to our room in the middle of the night. I still keep a few tension gates in the house for when we have guests or need to contain the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We removed our bottom a couple weeks ago because lambie (2.5yo) has been climbing up the outside of the staircase and slipping between the spindles to circumvent the gate. We will probably remove the top one soon because I saw her open it herself last week. But I'm keeping it for now in case someone is wandering around at night or sleepwalking. I wouldn't want the kids to fall on the way to our room which is at the top of the stairs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'd say around 2 YO. We tried hard to remove any mystique associated with the stairs by having them climb them with us a bunch when able. We moved into a new old house when our youngest was just a couple months, and we never even installed them there.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

We never installed baby gates. If you have taught your kiddo how to safely slide down you should be good. The only caveat to this is if they come down to you in the middle of the night you should be confident that said kiddo can manage that while sleepy. There really isn't a "right age" just a "what is safe for your kiddo" and only mom and dad can determine that.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Um, we never baby proofed for the kids, but we still have baby gates up to keep the dogs out of rooms we don't want them in.

Sorry, I'm no help.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                  We had gates all over the place in our last house, but it was a 1920s house where the stairs were super steep, all wood, limited rails, etc. Our current rental is just one story, so we haven't needed baby gates at all. Now with the boys being almost 2 and 4, so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth investing in a bunch of gates for the new house when they can already walk up/down stairs on their own. The new stairs are carpeted, but it would still be a LONG fall if they tripped.
                  In that case, I'd skip the gates since they're already pretty comfortable with stairs, unless you want it for containment. I liked the one at the bottom of the stairs so I could keep a closer watch on them during the day.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We have one at the top and bottom but they stay open during the day now. I would be concerned about DS (2.5) going walkabout at night so I would probably keep one at the top. The one we have would be very hard for a kid to open.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

We took them down when our youngest was about 2.5. She had been able to open them herself for a while but like others said I was worried about her walking around at night. The top of the stairs is right by our bedroom. So far so good though. I think you should be ok without them or only in limited places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Working...
                      X