Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeds

How do you manage weeds? This took a couple of hours, and I didn't even make a dent. My plan is to get all the big stuff out, spray it with Round Up, then put some more pine straw down. Anything else I should do?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Doing what your doing regularly. I work around my yard at about 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a time. I have a lot to do- it takes me about 4 sessions to get my whole yard then I start over again. It takes me about two weeks, because I just can't do that kind of labor all the time. It does get less, weed wise, but I have a lot of plants that need to be cut back- dead growth cut off etc. I don't like using round up as it kills everything. I have used it once against invasive grass around some rocks to keep them from invading a flower bed, otherwise I use mulch and regular old weeding. I have an awesome tool I use - it's called a diggy diggy. It a Japanese garden knife. It's awesome for weeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I use a lot of round up. Our yard always looks like hell, though.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Our grass looks good, it's just the landscaping that has all the weeds. I had too much going on to take care of it for the last year, pretty much, although I did get out and work on some of the weeds a few times. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get it all cleared out, and I'll try to keep on top of it more. I should have taken a before picture.

As far as the Round Up killing everything - that's why I end up doing a lot of pulling. I pull everything that's close to things I don't want killed, so I can spray the stuff that's far enough away from the good plants. Unfortunately we have a lot of torpedo grass, and I'm not willing to dig up the whole bed to get rid of it.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

We had Bermuda grass in OKC. I hated it. So invasive. I'm guessing torpedo grass is similar. It takes constant work or else the catch up is a beast. Sounds like what you are dealing with. Just keep plugging along. As you have more time you'll be more on top of it and it won't be so overwhelming. You could also consider hiring out the first clean out then maintain it yourself.

Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
            We had Bermuda grass in OKC. I hated it. So invasive. I'm guessing torpedo grass is similar. It takes constant work or else the catch up is a beast. Sounds like what you are dealing with. Just keep plugging along. As you have more time you'll be more on top of it and it won't be so overwhelming. You could also consider hiring out the first clean out then maintain it yourself.

Well, we sort of did the first cleaning last year when we had the landscaping totally redone. The woman who did it doesn't come to our area anymore, and I don't really feel like finding someone new at this point. At least it's not a million degrees, but it was pretty warm today. I sort of did it in 3 spurts today.

Comment

I'm more weed-tolerant (that describes me in my twenties as well...bad pun), and use roundup as sparingly as possible - usually just on poison ivy.
              I have been on a crusade against ants this summer, and as they disappeared, the grass seed I put in seemed to take over better and the weeds disappeared a bit.
              Enabler of DW and 5 kids
              Let's go Mets!

Comment

Ohhh! I spend too much time on these weeds

Comment

Weeds watse much of my time dailyThough, I'm really happy that after much of hard work, I have a so beautiful garden now!

Comment

We have become lazy. We spray weed killer and just let them shrivel and die. Anything else takes too much time and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                    X