Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Banister replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banister replacement

So, this happened today. (How it happened is a topic for another thread to be titled "exorcism of kindergarteners"). This is the second spindle broken and I know from past experience it can't be repaired. How much is it going to cost to replace the banister and spindles? What type of craftsman do I call? Do I need to recarpet at the same time? Paint? I wanted to do wood steps eventually and was waiting to replace the banister then. When my kids are less destructive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

More photos

Comment

Banister replacement

Eek! This is totally my fear. If you want to re-carpet or add hardwood, I think this would be the time to do it, but I imagine this project will be $$$. (But I might totally be wrong! 🤞&#127995

ETA: Are you sure it's really impossible to replace an individual spindle?? I feel like that's something a craftsman should be able to do.
      Last edited by OrionGrad; 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Yikes! How scary!! I'd bee thinking iron spindles!
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
          Eek! This is totally my fear. If you want to re-carpet or add hardwood, I think this would be the time to do it, but I imagine this project will be $$$. (But I might totally be wrong! 🤞&#127995

ETA: Are you sure it's really impossible to replace an individual spindle?? I feel like that's something a craftsman should be able to do.
          I looked into it once before and they were unable to match the existing spindles

Comment

Could a craftsman re-create the 2 spindles to match? I have to imagine that would be cheaper than redoing the entire thing. Unless you're wanting to redo the flooring and banister anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
              Yikes! How scary!! I'd bee thinking iron spindles!
              I am too. But then, $$$.

The first one that broke was near the bottom so I've been postponing this project. I really wanted to wait on redoing the steps because I hate carpet. But my kids are rough on the stairs so I'm afraid wood would be too dangerous and too easily damaged now

Comment

If you can find a wood worker/contractor they can make the two spindles for you. Check into this option first before going for the full rebuild. I had my banister replaced and it was hand built- you couldn't buy the shape of post and spindles I wanted, even though they were a simple design.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

The problem with wooden stairs is that they're slippery. I thought I wanted them until I had kids. Now I think you need a runner on wooden stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                    The problem with wooden stairs is that they're slippery. I thought I wanted them until I had kids. Now I think you need a runner on wooden stairs.

Yeah. That's why I wanted to wait until the kids are bigger. And because they slide down the steps in the laundry basket despite my objections.

Comment

My stairway has a couple of balusters that are clearly replicas. They're cut from a different grade of wood, with a different shaped "bulb" to the decorative knobbies. But under a coat of paint, you can't tell unless you really scrutinize. I'd call another carpenter.
                      Alison

Comment

Can you do different ones in the interim? I would just choose something functional for safety right now.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Unrelated note--in some of my recent Realtor.com therapy, I found a home that had no bannisters on the bottom half of the stairs. At all. (The top half was surrounded by walls as part of the structure of the house)
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                          X