Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

choose my front door paint color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choose my front door paint color

Hello from the color incompetent! I know some of you have CRAZY decorating skills so help a gal out. Seriously, my walls are all neutral. I've never loved this red door, but now I see so many cool door colors. The brick is red with yellow undertones and the trim is beige. Do your thing, MSN hive. Direct me because I don't even know where to begin.

Attached Files
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Just recently I was reading the Young House Love blog archives and they said "the door is the smile of the house." I kind of love that! Is there a color that just sings to you? It's possible to make crazy colors work for doors, teals and yellows, and do you remember when cupcake painted hers purple?

For some reason my minds eye says navy for yours. Or pumpkin.
    Alison

Comment

Thanks! I adore the color orange but not for decorating or cars.

Navy is on my short list. Would that show dirt and imperfections?

Would dark gray not go with warm undertones?

Seriously I can’t decorate. It’s nit in my wheelhouse.
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We have a black front door and I haven’t noticed dirt or imperfections. I think navy would look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I think I'd pull a dark color from the bricks--a grayish brown maybe? I tend to not lean towards bright colors, though. I know they can really make a front door pop, but you have to be the type of person that can own it, and I am not that person. I also think it looks better on historic or unique houses, vs traditional brick. I'm actually not a fan of the bright blue front door on the YHL house.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I pick up green from the bricks but it may just be the picture. Moss green, hunter green? How do you feel about green?

Isn't there an app where you can upload the picture and change the colors? I am at work and can't check it out for you right now. I need to look productive.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

choose my front door paint color

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
              I pick up green from the bricks but it may just be the picture. Moss green, hunter green? How do you feel about green?

Isn't there an app where you can upload the picture and change the colors? I am at work and can't check it out for you right now. I need to look productive.
              One of our former houses had brick this color and we had beige trim. We painted the front door Green. It looked nice.

ETA: We only had one door though that was surrounded by small windows on either side that had beige trim.
              Last edited by Phoebe; 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM.
              Needs

Comment

I want to say plum (eggplant? blackberry? Something in the comservative-ish deep purple family). I also like the navy idea.

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Did you ever see that book from the 80s called "Color Me Beautiful?" Basically the book that launched the craze around "color seasons." I think your house is an Autumn. While I agree with ST about the really wild bright front doors, I do think the door is a great place for a pop of contrast, because it's such a small area in relation to the front of the house. It's like a statement necklace, or a scarf or something. So I think that's why my gut says to go with a muted medium-deep cool color, opposite to red-orange on the color wheel -- something like navy to deep green. But on the other hand, I thought it could be interesting to bring in a brighter color to bring the door out of the shadows and put more focus on the entry. In that case, I wouldn't do a color contrast, but a tonal contrast, bringing in a color from the brick but way less muted. That's why I thought orange (but that was kind of tongue in cheek) or maybe a clear warm-based red? The current maroon is very classy too!

As for the practicality, we used to have dark green and now we have white. I didn't find them any different in terms of showing off the usual splotches and smudges that front doors get.

Totally agree you should look for some kind of visualization software to help you decide!
                  Alison

Comment

Working...
                  X