Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of Flooring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Flooring

We have hardwood floors in our kitchen/great room. About a week ago, one of the kids got sick on the floor in a high traffic area. While I was bathing the kid, DrK cleaned the floor. He used Lysol wipes on the floor. (I wouldn’t have done that but I wasn’t there.). Now there is a large slippery patch in the area where he cleaned. The patch is at least a meter in diameter, and, in the most highly trafficked area of the room. Basically, the area that we pass through to get from the den to the kitchen, from the kitchen to the table, from the table to the pantry, every time we enter or exit through garage.....It’s a problem. I fell today and I’m afraid that our parents (my mom is a frequent visitor and she has balance issues) or a guest in our home will fall.

We’ve mopped the area a few times so I don’t think it’s a film from the wipes. DrK thinks he may have removed a layer of varnish when he was cleaning up. Is there any way to fix this without redoing all the floors? If I have to redo the floors, it’s an area of about 800 sq ft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

If the alcohol in the wipe hit a finish like shellac, it could definitely have removed/dissolved and then redistributed the finish to get that smoother/shinier effect. I think it's possible that just re-painting some new shellac onto it, not even a full sand and refinish, could get your texture back where you want it. Shellac is a kind of interesting coating that way. You'll probably still want to talk to a flooring person though. If nothing else, shellac is nasty and smelly to work with and you might not want to do it yourself.
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      If the alcohol in the wipe hit a finish like shellac, it could definitely have removed/dissolved and then redistributed the finish to get that smoother/shinier effect. I think it's possible that just re-painting some new shellac onto it, not even a full sand and refinish, could get your texture back where you want it. Shellac is a kind of interesting coating that way. You'll probably still want to talk to a flooring person though. If nothing else, shellac is nasty and smelly to work with and you might not want to do it yourself.
      Crud. I just hate Lysol. As I was typing this post, I remembered my dog that was once poisoned by Lysol about 15 years ago.

I just tried mopping it with a vinegar/water mix again to see if it;s film. When you look at the floor, you can’t see the spot. It doesn’t look shiny or dull or any different than the rest of the floor.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Crud. I just hate Lysol. As I was typing this post, I remembered my dog that was once poisoned by Lysol about 15 years ago.

I just tried mopping it with a vinegar/water mix again to see if it;s film. When you look at the floor, you can’t see the spot. It doesn’t look shiny or dull or any different than the rest of the floor.

Aww RIP Moxie...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
        X