Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Upstairs Laundry Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstairs Laundry Room

Does anyone have thoughts on an upstairs laundry room?

My house has an odd room on the second level. The room is strangely shaped, has poor lighting, it’s hot, and it is only accessible through my bedroom. We’ve attempted using it first as an office and later as a gym. Neither has worked out. Neighbors who have the same floor plan have tried using it as a dressing room, nursery, craft room, or TV room with limited success. Nearly everyone has said it’s wasted space. We pretty much just dump stuff there that doesn’t have a home or that we need to hide from the kids.

We also have a tiny laundry room on our main floor and no mud room. The laundry room is so small that there is barely room for me with our huge washer/dryer and daily baskets of laundry. My kids shoes hang on a rack by the garage door and their coats/back packs hang in my kitchen. I have a chest of drawers in the kitchen for gift wrap, craft supplies, batteries, charging computers... I dream of having a mud room and having additional storage on the main floor. Right now, the only storage on the main floor aside from hooks and dressers I’ve added is a small coat closet which holds guest coats, boots, the vacuum cleaner...

Today, I had a friend who is an interior decorator visit my home. I showed her the odd room and we brainstormed what we could do with it. She was stumped until she started asking me what I do. (Do you do yoga? Meditate? Craft? Watch TV? .....Um, I do a lot of laundry. Laundry.all.day.long.) I mentioned that I’d suggested making it an upstairs laundry/linen/storage/desk/craft area and then converting my main floor laundry room into a mud room but my husband vetoed the idea. He is concerned about flooding, ventilation, heat, vibration, noise.... He also felt that it would be cumbersome for guests or our children to do laundry because the room is only accessible through our room. Also, the expense of the renovation intimidated him and he’s never intimidated by expenses.

The decorator says that she can address all of his concerns. She said that the ventilation and vibration shouldn’t be a problem, flood damage would no worse than it would be if a second floor bathroom flooded, we can add a second layer of dry wall behind the machines to reduce sound. We can install fans to control the temperature. There is already plumbing there because the odd room is above our kitchen....

She proposed pushing out a wall from K1’s room (the smallest bedroom in the house which also is the only room that shares a wall with the odd room). This would add about 3 feet to his room and expand his closet space, reduce the size of the odd room (which is already the smallest upstairs room) and make the shape of the odd room less odd. The room would be almost rectangular then and would be about the size of a very large walk in closet. Then moving the main laundry upstairs while leaving a small stackable washer/dryer, slop sink, and mud room/storage functions in what is now our laundry room. We would leave the smaller laundry function downstairs to accommodate kitchen linens (dish towels, table linen), sports/swim gear, and guest laundry.

This is a huge, expensive project. We’d be doing it in conjunction with several other smaller household projects (flooring being the most significant, the others being nominal in comparison), so we’d most likely have to do the renovation in phases as I’m not about to do a $50k renovation all at once. Such as, first expanding K1’s room and doing the flooring throughout the house so we wouldn’t have to re-do flooring once we were ready to move the laundry. Second, installing plumbing, ventilation, etc. in preparation for moving the laundry upstairs. Etc. I’m worried we could be living with renovations for years. It sounds like the biggest expense and inconvenience would be in the first phase.

The decorator is telling me that this project would be a benefit when it comes time to sell the house because everyone hates the odd room in this floor plan. She says it’s a big house and upstairs laundry rooms are becoming more desirable and that we would be able to recoup about 80% of the renovation costs when we sell. Homes in our neighborhood are desirable (good schools) and we intend to stay here indefinitely, but, you know, medicine is a bitch. I love the idea of making this odd room super functional but, OMG, this is so expensive that it makes me sick and what if it’s a huge mistake?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Sounds like a neat idea to me. Houses with upstairs laundry rooms aren't uncommon around here. The only thing I'd want is to make sure you can vent the dryer directly to an exterior wall. Venting through the attic (like ours) is a fire hazard and a pain to have cleaned. Actually we are due to have ours cleaned.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Upstairs Laundry Room

I’ve never been through a renovation, but I do miss having the laundry upstairs like we did in our last house.

ETA: the ventilation, heat, vibration, and noise weren’t problems. The units sat in some kind of pan with a drain to help guard against flooding (though ours was cracked before we moved in) and the lease specified we were to replace the washer hoses yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Auspicious; 05-10-2018, 09:12 PM.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Would it be possible to have the new laundry room with a door so it could be accessible without having to go through your master? I know it feels like you are doing laundry constantly now, but in a couple years, I imagine you will have the kids do their own. It would be a real PITA to have them trouncing through your room to do their laundry. Of course, they could always use the small downstairs one, but I wonder if that would be large enough to accommodate them during their teens when they tend to let laundry pile up before doing it.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Unfortunately, no. The only other way would be to create access through my son's room. The odd room is off a corner of our bedroom.

I suppose using the small laundry would be incentive for them not to let it pile up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I totally get what you are saying about having the kids in our room. Not sure if I like that either. I'm also wondering if we will forget to switch loads and fold laundry if it's upstairs.

I wish I could come up with a better used for the odd room. In any event, I think enlarging my son's room and making the odd room smaller/less awkward would help. I suppose we could load it up with shelves and cabinets to make it a storage closet. But we already have 5 closets upstairs and I just love the idea of creating a mudroom downstairs.

Comment

We had a mudroom in our old house and I’m already brainstorming how to adjust the small laundry room downstairs to recreate it.

I grew up with laundry upstairs and think it’s a great idea. Also, I mean, I think it’s a pipe dream to assume that it being in your room is going to impact the kids ability to do laundry... that’ll take a lot of training and won’t happen for many more years. And can still happen, it just has to happen during the day.

I’d 100% do it. That sounds like a great use of the space. AND you will love having the mudroom downstairs. It was amazing.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm also thinking that if I reduce the size of the odd room and DON'T make it a laundry, then I'm just reducing the number of rooms in the house. While the odd room is otherwise useless, it would look like one less room on paper when it is time to sell the house.

One of the other renovations we are considering is to finish a utility closet off of our basement guestroom. It already has a window so a closet would make it officially a bedroom.

If we finish the basement bedroom, increase the size of K1's room making it comparable to the other bedrooms, put in an upstairs laundry, and add a main floor mudroom, I'd think the value of the house would increase, right? We hope to stay in the house another 15 years so I want to enjoy it but I'm still thinking about resale value. I'd want to recoup some of the costs.

You all know that my house is almost entirely furnished via "look at this great thing I found at a thrift store/antique shop/flea market/garage sale." So, the thought of spending $50k on renovations makes me queasy.

Comment

Here are some photos. Excuse the mess. Like I said, these have become catch all rooms. The first two are the odd room which looks huge in pictures. The strange shape is due to K1's closet cutting into the room. She's proposing that we bring the wall of his room to the back of the closet and square off the closet (which is shaped oddly now). Then the odd room would be rectangular and measure 7' wide x 11' deep.

Alternatively, we could move my son's wall less and square off his closet. Then there would still be a cut out but it would create an alcove on the wall adjoining his room in which the washer/dryer would sit. The laundry room would then be a little wider, 8 or 9' x 11'.

The third picture is my current laundry room. It is 6' wide and 7' deep and I use every inch of it.

Comment

Wow that is a huge room. It would be an office for us which was probably the intention but that’s only helpful if you need a home office.

Now I’m rethinking my response bc it’s way bigger than I thought and I feel like a home office might be more valuable than upstairs laundry. I know many, many couples where at least one works from home.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That sounds like a cool idea but like you I would be scared by the cost. I’m no expert but I’m not sure that it would increase the value that much. I would love a mud room too. We would also use that space as an office. Even though DH doesn’t work from home he still likes to have a space to study away from the kids. For resale I think it would be more valuable staged as an office but since it doesn’t function that way for you, maybe storage/craft room?

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Could you stack the W/D in the laundry room? Our new laundry room will also be a mudroom and I’m thinking of stacking ours simply because I want more floor space.

Comment

Why didn't it work as an office? I'd make it an office/craft/storage room, personally. I wouldn't want laundry only in my room (we sort of have that now, although you can also access it from the garage, but my kids are young and we're moving, obviously). I'd try to find a way to more effectively use the space in your current laundry room. Could you make a mudroom in your garage? I'm planning to try that in our new house.
                          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

What about a babe cave for you?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                              Why didn't it work as an office? I'd make it an office/craft/storage room, personally. I wouldn't want laundry only in my room (we sort of have that now, although you can also access it from the garage, but my kids are young and we're moving, obviously). I'd try to find a way to more effectively use the space in your current laundry room. Could you make a mudroom in your garage? I'm planning to try that in our new house.
                              It didn't work as an office because the lighting was poor and the room is hot. It's just uncomfortable no matter how we decorated it. Like being in a windowless box. Its out of the way so it is often forgotten and just became cluttered. We started it as an office and it ended up being treated just as storage for projects to be done "later". DrK prefers to work at the kitchen table and doesn't study at all at home. He wants to study at the library, exercise at the gym.

The prior owner of our house used the basement bedroom as their office and staged this room as a sitting area with an electric fireplace.

We've seen others as nurseries for babies but then those families move out when they decide the baby needs a proper bedroom. Other neighbors made them into dressing rooms but our master bath/closet are bigger than most people's kitchens so there really is no point. It really is a space that no one with the floor plan is using for much other than as a dumping ground.

My cousin suggested that I wallpaper it with Donny Osmond posters and build some sort of shrine in there just to freak people out.

If we put laundry there, we would also use it as a craft/storage/office area. I'm thinking of something like these pictures. We would keep the connectors for the downstairs laundry in case someone wanted to convert it back in the future.

Last edited by MrsK; 05-11-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X