Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Washing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Machine

Our two year old Whirlpool top loader is making the most insane noise on the spin cycle. I had an appliance guy come out this week and he thinks it’s the transmission. $650 to replace it. Insane.

I didn’t really want a new washer In This house because we have gross water and I figured I’d wait and get a new one once we can put a whole house water filtration system in. (We currently rent). But I’m pretty sure this one isn’t going to keep working much longer.

Anyone have one that they like? I hate the one we have now, it’s been such a pain. The hard water is a huge issue, but stains have been such a pain. We have to wash everything on deep water with extra rinse - sometimes with a personal too just to get the clothes clean. With those settings a load takes about an hour and 20minutes. AND the loads have to be so small for that to work. That seems absurd to me, but maybe it’s normal - and I just have so much more laundry now that my kids clothes are bigger... or something. I don’t know.

But anyway, any washing machine recommendations are very appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn even the top loaders :/
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      Damn even the top loaders :/
      I know. It’s so depressing.

Comment

I love our LG front loader but we don't have hard water. I'd imagine it will ruin any machine you get! Maybe a machine with its own dedicated water softener?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
          I love our LG front loader but we don't have hard water. I'd imagine it will ruin any machine you get! Maybe a machine with its own dedicated water softener?

So I don’t think that exists - but I’m going to do a better job confirming. I use a hard water booster in the drum, and it really improved the results, but I assume hard water builds up other places.

It’s so annoying. Maybe I should just fix the pos.... my dyson stick vac broke also. And this countertop convection oven we love is also on its last legs. All of them were so expensive. It really sucks when all this stuff breaks at once!

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
            So I don’t think that exists - but I’m going to do a better job confirming. I use a hard water booster in the drum, and it really improved the results, but I assume hard water builds up other places.

It’s so annoying. Maybe I should just fix the pos.... my dyson stick vac broke also. And this countertop convection oven we love is also on its last legs. All of them were so expensive. It really sucks when all this stuff breaks at once!

I thought I read somewhere that you can attach one to the pipes in your washer but maybe I'm crazy.

Oh I hear ya! We just had to replace the furnace and my Dyson stick broke too. Granted, it was the older v6 but I was lost without it. I just upgraded to the v7.

Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Washing Machine

Call Dyson! I thought mine was toast and they walked me through a weird fix. Worth a shot anyway. I love my Dyson stick vac. ❤️
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I took it in - after every YouTube video I could find. It needed a new battery. $95. But there was a battery shortage or something. I had to wait three weeks. I bought a v10 (I think). It was insanely expensive and the battery life isn’t that impressive. I’m so annoyed. With the price of everything right now 🤪.

Comment

Washing Machine

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                  I thought I read somewhere that you can attach one to the pipes in your washer but maybe I'm crazy.

Oh I hear ya! We just had to replace the furnace and my Dyson stick broke too. Granted, it was the older v6 but I was lost without it. I just upgraded to the v7.

I’m getting close to checking, lol! So many insane things happening in life. I can’t deal with any of them! lol. But, I’m excited so to know it might be a possibility! Thank you!

Last edited by JDAZ11; 10-21-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Washing Machine

Comment

I have the absolute WORST luck with washing machines, so I don’t have any recommendations, but I can tell you which ones to avoid. I initially loved my Samsung high capacity top loader, but it crapped out 18 months after I bought it. It was one of the more expensive models too. This past March, we replaced it with the Maytag Bravos XL. It’s another high capacity top loader. I hate this machine because even on the deep water and extra rinse setting, it doesn’t use enough water and there’s often white soap residue leftover on the clothes. DH discovered that if he starts the load and lets the clothes get wet (which makes them heavier) then aborts the wash, causing the water to drain and then restart the load, it tricks the machine into using enough water because the load is heavier from already being wet. Who the hell has time for that bullshit?! Anyway, I hate this machine and wish I had chosen something else. Honestly, the best washer we ever had was the old school top loader with the agitator in it. That thing lasted us over 10 years and did a great job. They just don’t make them like they used to. Now I sound like an old lady. 😑

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

we replaced it with the Maytag Bravos XL. It’s another high capacity top loader.
                        Damnit, that was what I had my eye on for whenever my front loaders go.

FWIW, I'd avoid Whirlpool. Both my mom and MIL have their front loaders and I am so unimpressed with them. They are always having issues and the mold in the soap dispenser issue thing is just insane. My GE front loaders have actually done a pretty good job that past 2 years (especially for the price), but I just feel like they aren't going to last long.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We have LG front loader, hard water and softener (for whole house). So far it's been problem-free 10 yrs. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Does everyone still like their washing machines? Or have any advice on what to stay away from?

Ours just crapped out in the middle of a spin cycle. It’s a Whirlpool top loader, and probably at least 10 years old. I secretly hate it. It was starting to leave deposits on my dark clothes, and I wasn’t satisfied with how clean it was getting stuff. So, in my opinion, it’s not worth seeing if we can get it fixed. DH seems to agree and we will go take a look at washers on Sunday. I’d still like to get a top loader, if at all possible.

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

My GE Front Loaders are still going despite a lot of abuse from my son haha!

That being said, I still wouldn't buy them again. I just feel like they are gonna die any minute

Comment

Working...
                              X