Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bathrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathrooms

The number one complaint about this house has been the fact that there's only one bathroom. With the way it's laid out, the only realistic place to put a second bathroom is under the stairs in the basement. I'm ready to whip out the home depot card and bite the bullet (and re-raise the price, which we just dropped 40k). (The number two complaint was the ulgy indoor/outdoor rug installed by the homeowner's association. One $29 jute rug from the Crate and Barrel outlet and that was taken care of!!)

Anyone have any experience with having a toilet/sink installed under stairs?

Jenn

Jenn, I don't have personal experience but my parents just built their own house. Is there plumbing already in that location? That will be where most of your expense is if they have to run new pipes, tear up the floor, walls, etc. to do so.

Vanities, sinks, and toilets really aren't that expensive or hard to install if the plumbing is there.

Good luck!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I agree -- a pedestal sink and toilet can be had for under $500. You could even throw in some vinyl flooring. It's the plumbing that can get expensive. If the plumbing is right there, a handyman can do it.

Comment

Everything is right there because it's the basement, with the notable exception of floor drains, etc. I think that's easy to do though as there are drains for the washing machine, the sink and the water heater.

Our realtor doesn't think it's necessary because he's afraid we'd have to do the whole basement to make it a worthwhile investment. He's going to check with his broker and some of the other realtors to get their opinions as well.

Jenn

Comment

My parents (both architects) did a bathroom under basement stairs before they sold their house. My dad installed a nice shower, toilet and pedestal sink. They put in some nice heavy tiles and it looked great. The shower was one of those things where the water squirts from up top as well as from the sides. A full-body shower. They live across the street from a lake, and I think they called the room an "apres-beach bathroom" in their listing. It was a selling-point because other than this new bathroom, there was only one other! I don't know how we lived there with 4 people!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Is the basement finished? If not, this could still be an issue, Jenn. An unfinished basement can be viewed by some as not really being living space. I know people with unfinished basements here that never venture down except to throw some more boxes/storage stuff down there. A bathroom there would be meaningless to them because they don't utilize the space.

If your basement is finished, I think it would be worth it.

Just my opinion though.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think it's a good idea since the plumbing is already there. TMI perhaps, but even in a semi-finished basement, guys do love to have the privacy of a bathroom and stacks of toilet reading.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Jenn, Did you ever do this???

Comment

I think she let the heavy rains take care of it for her!!
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

:!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                    X