Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice

So we have mice, luckily (knock on wood) not in the house. But in our yard. We are trying to figure where the little critters have made a home, as we have had 12+ fall into our basement window wells in the last month- 10 in the last 2 days!! It has become our own little mouse aquarium. :> Thank goodness dh grew up on a farm, and has no problem "dealing" with them.

We are trying our best to keep them out of the house, now if we could only get them to stay out of our yard that would be heavenly. I thought about getting some mesh to go over the firegrate over the window well, but then the mice would probably end up in our house. The window well seems like the perfect mouse trap.

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

I have no solutions, just wanted to say GROSS! I hate mice and if they became extinct, along with mosquitoes, I'd be a very happy person!

Comment

Sounds like you have a good solution already!

Traps are hard with little kids around. I'm glad you have a such a willing mouse-disposer. I don't like that part.

Comment

Originally posted by melfitz
        I have no solutions, just wanted to say GROSS! I hate mice and if they became extinct, along with mosquitoes, I'd be a very happy person!
        You are my long lost twin.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I think mice are gross as well. The mice we do have are kind of cute, but I keep reminding myself- Hanta virus, and other diseases that they spread. Dh teases me- "what do you want me to do catch them in a little cage, and release them to a little mouse preserve in the wild like they do with prairie dogs in Colorado."

Crystal
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

How about a cat?

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

OMG-

I can handle 99% of the world- I can handle RATS walking through my backyard but put a mouse anywhere near me and I'm screaming bloddy murder and jumping up on furniture. When I lived with two other people, one female and one male, we had mice get in. We (the girls) made our male room-mate promise to check and then deal with the mouse traps before we came downstairs in the morning.

Yikes. I don't think I could step outside my house.

Jenn

PS- Sally, I think you're on to something. I believe that part of the reason why Hairy Rat moved on is that my Trouble and her big Bruiser boyfriend (she's such a slut) chased him off.

Comment

Seriously, even if the cat doesn't kill too many of them, they will move on once they realize there is a predator sticking around.
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

If we got a furry little kitty, we would have to keep him/her outdoors- dh and I are both really allergic. Hmmm...I am thinking this might be a good thing, Emma gets a pet, the mice stay away.

Crystal
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Ten mice in 2 days! That is alot of mice.

I would gladly accept a mouse in my home in exchange for forever ridding me of the infamous Southern 2 inch long cockroach. Even though we get our house sprayed, I still see one inside about once a week.
                    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Originally posted by cricketnmatt
                      If we got a furry little kitty, we would have to keep him/her outdoors- dh and I are both really allergic. Hmmm...I am thinking this might be a good thing, Emma gets a pet, the mice stay away.

Crystal
                      You may be able to find an older "barn" cat that would stick around and be there as a mouser, too.

Comment

While living in an apartment above a pizza shop, I discovered that my cat is a GREAT mouse-hunter. HOWEVER, she was so proud of her work, that she would often bring me her kill, minus a leg or an ear.

...the infamous Southern 2 inch long cockroach.
                        OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG! Just thinking about these sends a shiver up my spine and overwhelms me with the urge to jump up on my desk. I don't mind mice, but roaches I cannot handle. And moths. And those really fat bees. And silverfish. I don't like bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by suwannee
                          I would gladly accept a mouse in my home in exchange for forever ridding me of the infamous Southern 2 inch long cockroach. Even though we get our house sprayed, I still see one inside about once a week.
                          Ohhhhh, I so agree with this!

It's the one thing I dread moving back to Texas. I swear some of those roaches could EAT a mouse!

I've had mice and I've had the killer cockroaches and I'll take the mice any day. Nothing like having one of those things flying around the room "attacking" you (yes, they WILL attack - stand up on their little back legs and charge at you, too! :! ).

Now, full grown rats??? Yeah, that could beat the roaches. But, if they were killing and eating the monster roaches? Maybe I wouldn't mind so much....
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We have since found out that the little critters that were falling into our window well are voles (meadow mice). The good thing is they are cuter than mice, and typically don't like the indoors BUT they love gardens. Which we just planted one. Oh they also like to make nice little tunnels in yards through the grass. Our front lawn looks like it has a little maze.

Crystal
                            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Crystal-

We had moles when I was growing up in Pittsburgh and our cat used to regularly kill them and leave them on the back stoop as a gift to my mom.

Yuck.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X