Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cracked heels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked heels

Is there the right place for this? I have the worst dry cracked heels. They look terrible. I know it is bc I only wear sandals 10 months out of the year. I really dont have time or money to spend on a salon pedicure right now. I already scrub them obsessively with a pumice stone when I take a shower. What else can I do?
    Mom to three wild women.

I use cocoa butter every morning and night and my footsies and it really helps keep them soft(ish). I would recommend (though it may be warm) putting the cocoa butter on and wearing socks on at night. Soaking the feet when you get home will also help. I wish I could wear sandals for that many months.
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I like the Eucerin Dry Skin Care Plus. It is sold in a plastic jar. I think you want something with Urea in it. This also has Alpha Hydroxy Acid.

I slather it on at night -- and the walk carefully across the wood floor to bed.

If you try that and it doesn't work, PM me and I'll as DH.

Comment

Buy cheapest foot cream you can (they tend to be thicker than regular lotion) and lather before sleep, every night. You should see a difference within a week. Soaking your feet in hot water before scrubbing with pumice stone will help take more dead skin off.

Comment

Back in Seattle, I used to have cracked heels to the point where they'd almost bleed--the humidity in Chicago helps curb the dryness though. I used to be really desperate--to the point where I was putting plastic shopping bags on my feet and tying them. TMI? It works though!!!

I use pumice towards the end of my shower, and at night I use Body Shop Peppermint Foot Rescue. Even though it says to use it every so often, I use it every night. Dh puts the lotion on my feet so that I don't go slip-sliding on his precious floors and make a mess on my way to wash my hands.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I've done Vaseline slathered feet followed by socks. After putting on all the goop and then carefully donning my attractive white athletic footies before bed I always tell DH "Beauty is not pretty!".

It works. I'm sure the same effect can be achieved with any thick lotion. Vaseline is a petroleum product (a no-no for many) but it is cheap and very effective.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've also used Crisco...the lard in the can.... :!
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Vaseline here. Got me through my marathons (walking- 7 hours once and 12 hours the second time).

Actually the preferred method is the Vaseline with socks at bedtime. Sexy, no. feet saving, yes. Plus, anytime I do anything in closed toe shoes (which as you are well aware means only running shoes or tennis shoes because dear god, when would anyone actually wear closed tow shoes in the south on purpose in the summer) I do the Vaseline/sock routine.

Avon makes a great cracked heel cream. at least they used to. I bought six tube and am just now wearing them out because Vaseline is still better.

And yes, every manufacturer of products makes a foot cream. and yes they slather nicely, they smell great and for two seconds my feet don't crack. I can't strongly recommend oil refinery byproducts that pollute the world enough. (I don't know for sure that it's true but I wouldn't be surprised. I bought Yaris, I think we can balance it out with a tub of Vaseline every now and again.)

Use about an eighth of an inch to a 1/4 of an inch per slather, too.

Jenn

Comment

OK random side note:

Shreveport, my new home has an oil by product refinery...the buildings look kinda neat!

Resume the regularly scheduled program...
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Vishenka, when we can all afford it, please plan a spa/shopping/fashion weekend for us!!!!!

OR

Hire yourself out!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We can totally do a budget spa day at someone's house. You'd be surprised how good the drugstore products can be. I get most of my stuff at drugstore.com. Since I'm one of those freaks with a different tube for each body party, may be we should do it at our place (I'd need a suitcase lugging this stuff).

I'll post my favorites at the other thread.

Comment

Microplane has a grater just for feet to shave off dry skin. I've never used it but I've read rave reviews about it. I'm considering for myself.

http://microplane.com/personalcare/footfile.html

Comment

yikes! i just imagine the actual microplanes that i have for ginger and citrus zest, etc. and it gives me the heebie-jeebies! i realize this would be a more mild version ... but just the thought!

Comment

I know! I've knicked my finger on the microplane. Yee-ouch! This must be a tamer version.

Comment

My husband has some calluses(sp) on the soles of his feet. He's got really bad arches. So he bought one of those vegetable slicer-looking things, with just one blade (not exactly like a cheese grater like the link you have up). I went a little overkill with it and he was oozing blood. They're dangerous!!! Be careful!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X