Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Designer here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What attracted you to this set in the first place? Is anything else in the room contributing to the visual clutter? How much of the room would you say the bed occupies?
    I really liked the the colors in the set, especially the blues with the reds.The pattern on the duvet shows a lot more on my bed, too...so it looks very floral, which I don't like. There isn't a whole lot of other clutter in the room...a couple of dressers and nightstands/lamps, nothing on the walls other than a large framed mirror. The bed is a king, so it probably takes up a third of the room.[/quote]

Let's see if the quote worked...

Ok, here's my take on it. It sounds to me like the bed and the rest of the room are at 2 very different "noise levels." It's like putting a piano in a bookstore...a good idea in theory as long as the noise level of the piano and surrounding space are about the same. But if the music is too loud and the bookstore is otherwise silent, ppl will be annoyed. I would suggest adding more visual "noise" to balance out the prominent bed. I don't mean clutter. You could have the blue matched by a paint store, taken down a few notches until it's more of a cornflower, and paint the wall that's opposite the bed that color. Finish the other walls with a complimentary cream color (think yellow & blue but not as extreme) and somehow "frame" the bed on both sides with some substantial pieces, such as some artwork or seating. Is this making any sense? I'm trying to keep it loose to get you thinking of what could work out.

Comment

Ah, it didn't quite work! Maybe b/c I had a quote within a quote?

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Since you volunteered...I would appreciate tips for turning a slum into a decent place. The prep is the most work, but I am finally nearing the 'fun' part where I paint the walls and design where furniture would go (if and when we get some ).

You know you are in a slum when...
        -the previous paint job just painted over scotch tape, bugs, spaghetti noodles, and hair
        -pulling the stove away from the walls reveals a hole and shed exoskeletons of unknown species
        -The plumbing to the kitchen sink is soldered
        -The floor is uneven, suddenly, and by an inch

Anyways, I finally finished washing, sanding, priming and painting the cabinets. They look nice, white. I am also doing the walls white, flat, which I never would have thought of, but which hide imperfections well and give a sense of space to the room (minimal reflected light). Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the hallway. I'd like a touch of color. I picked two samples, one in a very pale fuschia and another in a flesh tone. Both are from a historic line of colors. I'd like to keep a 'new england' feel to the place. We'll be replacing the puke colored, stained carpet and yellow/dirt colored linoleum with laminate flooring, the maple from IKEA most likely. The space is small, but the layout is open. We really have to keep it light or it will seem even smaller.

So, with this do have any ideas? Our budget is pretty slim too. I have done all of the work so far and will contnue to do so, so don't suggest anything too complicated.

Thanks! (Maybe...maybe it really is a lost cause )

Comment

Hi Janet, sounds like you've done a lot of work! We live in a not-so-fantastic place too, which drives me nuts b/c I see every little thing that's wrong. Your post made me think of something important regarding color--white/light colors actually advance out towards you, while darker colors recede and make the space seem larger. Ever notice how a black dress makes you look thinner? Also, white doesn't necessarily lighten up a space. There are some dingy whites out there. If you're going for a larger looking space, consider a darker color, even for just some parts of your kitchen, like the walls, and make the cabinets a lighter color if you're not too comfortable with all that darkness. If you're looking to make the space lighter & cheerier, try thinking about a brighter color instead. Now, there is a place for white on the walls, but it's a lot tricker than you might think. Just my suggestions! I love the historical color take on your project!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerBitch
            It sounds to me like the bed and the rest of the room are at 2 very different "noise levels." It's like putting a piano in a bookstore...a good idea in theory as long as the noise level of the piano and surrounding space are about the same. But if the music is too loud and the bookstore is otherwise silent, ppl will be annoyed. I would suggest adding more visual "noise" to balance out the prominent bed. I don't mean clutter. You could have the blue matched by a paint store, taken down a few notches until it's more of a cornflower, and paint the wall that's opposite the bed that color. Finish the other walls with a complimentary cream color (think yellow & blue but not as extreme) and somehow "frame" the bed on both sides with some substantial pieces, such as some artwork or seating. Is this making any sense? I'm trying to keep it loose to get you thinking of what could work out.
            I like your analogy, Sarah...it makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I was annoyed every time I looked at the bedroom but I didn't really know why or how to fix it. I'll work on adding more "visual noise" to the room, but I'm not sure if I can "frame" the bed with the way the room is arranged. One dresser takes up one wall, the other dresser takes up the wall opposite the bed, nightstands on either side of the bed -- oh, and a large Chinese hope chest that I can never find a good place for. Maybe I can figure out how to upload pictures to give a better idea.
            Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Dandelion, I think pictures would help!

Janet,
              I live in a slum apartment too!

You know you are in a slum when...
              -the previous paint job just painted over scotch tape, bugs, spaghetti noodles, and hair Check!
              -pulling the stove away from the walls reveals a hole and shed exoskeletons of unknown species Check!
              -The plumbing to the kitchen sink is soldered Not sure, but likely!
              -The floor is uneven, suddenly, and by an inch Check, but by 2"!

It's definite bitchwork but I love that I, too, am getting to the point of "fun stuff." I painted my living room "Sour Lime" from the Waverly Home collection at Lowe's and my bedroom "Natural". In the kitchen, I have a chair rail and below that I painted the green from the living room and painted everything else flat white. It looks great, but I'm probably going to paint above the chair rail eventually.

Comment

Question:

Have you ever worked with "Devine Paint?"

It was suggested to me by my friend (a decorator) and we're using it in 97% of our house. I heard it's thick, easy to use, reminds people of Yogurt, and good quality?

I LOVE the colors....I was sold despite the price. But you save in labor due to less coats necessary -- or that's the theory.

Any thoughts?
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                  Question:

Have you ever worked with "Devine Paint?"

It was suggested to me by my friend (a decorator) and we're using it in 97% of our house. I heard it's thick, easy to use, reminds people of Yogurt, and good quality?

I LOVE the colors....I was sold despite the price. But you save in labor due to less coats necessary -- or that's the theory.

Any thoughts?
                  Never heard of it, but I checked out their website and it seems like a quality product. You can never go wrong with high quality paint. My personal favorite for residences is Benjamin Moore because of the way they mix their colors. They make what are called "complex colors" that actually have several colors making up what looks like one solid color. Because of this, the painted wall will have subtle color differences at different times of the day and year with the changing light. Most ppl never notice it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerBitch
                    Because of this, the painted wall will have subtle color differences at different times of the day and year with the changing light. Most ppl never notice it, though.
                    That is what I love about their colors -- and that the paint is so easy to apply and doesn't need a million coats to look nice. I noticed in our previous house and have noticed the absence here. We used a few Benjamin Colors in this house but couldn't find anyone selling it nearby. I had another store match it to the paint chips and while it is close, it is definitely not the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X