Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

new designer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new designer question

if the offer still stands ...

I need help with window treatments. We have a very open floor plan house, so everything needs to blend. I have one wall of 5 windows w/great moldings that currently has just blinds. I hate blinds. Of course the windows are NOT a standard size, so my original plan of roman blinds would mean custom, which is not in the budget. Here's a picture -- I'm open to suggestions, and have an MIL that can sew.

thanks for any ideas!

I love your windows, and I actually like blinds with a valance!!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Re: new designer question

Originally posted by jesher
      if the offer still stands ...

I need help with window treatments. We have a very open floor plan house, so everything needs to blend. I have one wall of 5 windows w/great moldings that currently has just blinds. I hate blinds. Of course the windows are NOT a standard size, so my original plan of roman blinds would mean custom, which is not in the budget. Here's a picture -- I'm open to suggestions, and have an MIL that can sew.

thanks for any ideas!
      Almost all window treatments are more or less custom. Is your house new? If so, builders usually use standard size windows whenever possible to cut costs, and you just might find the right size roman shades at home depot. It's worth a try. Otherwise, roman shades are some of the simpler window treatments to make yourself, so maybe you MIL would be up to making them. If you were to go this route, just be sure that you like the look of romans when they're down...sometimes they can look like a bedsheet over the window.
      Personally, I don't like window treatments altogether (shame on me!) What's the point of having windows just to cover them up with expensive pieces of fabric? We do have blinds at our house b/c #1: we live in the ghetto and need privacy at night and #2: they were up before I moved in But to get back to your question, I'd explore the roman shades option more, b/c I think it would look super with the trim you have around the windows. HTH!

Comment

the house is 3 years old (we didn't build it - we bought it last year). the windows are not standard. if i could find a measuring tape right now, i'd measure, but they're about 2 inches shy of one of the standard widths (i think they're 27" and things come in 29" for standard?). as far as the roman blinds, i was pretty much committed to having MIL make them, but cannot commit to a fabric on that huge scale. it's a little intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
          the house is 3 years old (we didn't build it - we bought it last year). the windows are not standard. if i could find a measuring tape right now, i'd measure, but they're about 2 inches shy of one of the standard widths (i think they're 27" and things come in 29" for standard?). as far as the roman blinds, i was pretty much committed to having MIL make them, but cannot commit to a fabric on that huge scale. it's a little intimidating.
          http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.as ... Id=0fc568a
          A 27"W shade is $17.99. Is that in your budget?

Comment

I just bought some 27" jute roman shades from target for $19.99. I don't know if it's really your style, but you could check them out. Good luck!

Comment

then they're 29" ... they don't fit the standard shades. i've looked and looked and looked. sure, $17.99 is in my budget. The quote I got for $2900 custom is not in my budget. I don't have a measuring tape handy or I'd re-measure. I just know they're 2" off from the standard size.

Comment

JCPenney does a 29" standard too. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a smarty

Comment

okay - gotta find that measuring tape.

Comment

FINALLY measured the stinkin' things! They're 30". I knew I wasn't crazy (or that inept at looking for ready-made, I am rather crazy).

Comment

I never doubted your shopping abilities, Jenn!

I think a drape would be too much on that much window....do you? You could do sheers with a interesting draped swag on a decorative pole for color. You'd have to do several sets of poles, I suppose, because of the curve. Personally, I like the blinds, but I'd upgrade to wood with fabric tape. (Custom again, sorry. ) The roman blind or a London shade would also look good. Smith and Noble should give you some ideas online.

If you do find a plain shade in your size, you could always add a decorative trim tape or bead/ribbon at the end.

What color are you thinking?[/i]
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

yeah - I'm on the same page as you Angie. I'm not much of a drape person, I was looking more towards roman blinds. Wood blinds would definitely warm it up ... and lose what I hate about blinds ... but the price! Oy vey! I like the idea of a decorative tape on a premade roman shade, tho. Hadn't thought of that one, and it should be very doable since they do come in 29" and 27". I wonder if I can pull that off.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Smith and Noble ... just not their prices.

Comment

If your MIL can sew, Roman Shades aren't that hard to make. There are actually patterns for them at your neighborhood sewing store. I actually was thinking of undertaking that same project, but wimped out...

Comment

Working...
                          X