Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Design advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design advice?

Some of you may recall that I am remodelling our condo. It is a long, drawn out and painful process. Anyways, I keep coming back to the idea of putting a hideaway computer station in the kitchen. The unit design is very open, with a galley kitchen that moves right into the breakfast nook (no dining room, but it IS only a nook). I would like construct an open and fold out table/storage area on the wall space that lies between the end of the kitchen cabinets and the eating area. IKEA has some fold out tables that give the idea.

So? What do people think? Is this going to be too wierd for resale? I think that since this is a 1 bdrm and walking distance to the hospital our market when we sell is going to be other folks working at the hospital/students. I also think that these days a computer workstation is pretty much a given for the majority of households. This is a project that can wait since it is work on the wall. I just happen to have my very handy folks coming into town to do the floors and thought I'd hit them up to make this as well.

It's a great idea. I've seen a number of those "hidden" tables in kitchen islands and walls. Is that what you are thinking? Or are you thinking of a hidden desk area that could actually hold a computer all the time?

Make sure to consider your power options in the area if you are planning on using it for a computer. There is nothing more frustrating than draping power cords across high traffic areas because the desk doesn't have a plug.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I agree, good idea. I've seen many "wierder" things in the resale market, not that this is one of them.

Comment

The newer construction seems to have a computer area in the kitchen, at least in the places we saw while searching.

Comment

Well, that is very encouraging to hear!

I do have a location in mind that has an outlet and am thinking it should be designed to hold/store a laptop. I haven't figured out the whole printer and sizing issue. Alternatively I like the under counter cookbook holders from IKEA and thought of using that idea (maybe reinforced) for a laptop.

Comment

Working...
          X