Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Thomas the Tank Engine cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas the Tank Engine cake

I offered to make the birthday cake for the little guy down the street. Here's yesterday's project!

That's awesome!!!! You are so talented!!

Comment

jenn, that cake is great! do you mind sharing your secret...ds and dd LOVE thomas and they share the month of feb. for their birthday.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

thanks. No secret. It's a rectangle cake topped w/a smaller round cake to make the engine face, then lots of stars, piping, etc. w/colored frosting. I can give you the recipe for the frosting I used. I just worked off of a picture I found online (we own no Thomas). Fortunately Thomas looks a little scary and psycho, and drawing that is not a problem for me.

Comment

Very cool - you or Heidi are in charge of all of my future children's birthday cakes - I have no talent when it comes to decorating!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

the frosting recipe would be great. thanks.

Fortunately Thomas looks a little scary and psycho, and drawing that is not a problem for me.

Comment

Buttercream Icing

1/2 c shortening
              1/2 c butter, softened
              1 t vanilla extract (I like to use almond, but stuck w/vanilla for the kid cake)
              4 c confectioners sugar
              2 T milk

if you want white-white, you can't use butter which really harms the flavor, IMO. For the whites of his eyes, I used all shortening in a REALLY tiny batch (made the red w/the remainder). Be sure to use the gel food coloring - not the liquid drops, and if you can find a cake dec supply store, the brands other than Wilton make better reds. With Wilton you can't get past pink when attempting to make red.

Comment

WOW!! I'm so impressed!
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Cool cake! Awesome work, Jenn.

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three
                    they share the month of feb. for their birthday.
                    so why was this necessary for me to share?

thanks jenn! of course i wont get away with making one...they each need a cake.

Comment

Ok Jen, if & when you & your DH decided to blow out of Kansas, head to PHX and be my neighbor!!! I would love to learn from you!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                        Ok Jen, if & when you & your DH decided to blow out of Kansas, head to PHX and be my neighbor!!! I would love to learn from you!
                        sweet ... but no thanks Scorpion Queen!

Comment

Comment

holy moly!! I'm gonna have to post a photo of the desert hare that seems to have taken up residence in our backyard, then maybe I can be dubbed "bunny lady" instead of "Scorpion Queen." LOL

Comment

Scorpion Queen is kind of cool. It just might appear next to your avatar.
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X