Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

china...not the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• china...not the country

i inherited some beautiful china from my grandmother, it arrived the other day. she says i admired it all the time when i was a kiddo....so i guess she thought me worthy of such a beautiful set.

anyhooo...i know nothing about it, and she never told me the story behind it, and it's too late now.

i searched a bit about it, and didnt really find anything other than the mark on the back may date to 1933...it hails from japan. the name on the back is noritake

so, anyone know anything they would like to share...or helpful hits on how to search.....????? i think i have the small bowl and tea cup on the wrong plate. one "plate" seems to be deeper than the others.

here are some pics.

the set

set again

the stamp

the pattern

main plate

??salad plate?? (help here)

bowl with two handles

tea cup and plate

??desert plate???

gravy bowl

serving bowl

serving bowl with top

thoughts?

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

It's beautiful. I can see why you admired it.

Comment

Go to Replacements.com - actually you can send them the scan of your china and they're get back to you with all of the details.

If your china is pre-WWII Japan, it is valuable. You'll know because it'll say "Nippon" rather than Japan.

Jenn

(can't tell that I used to work in the China department, huh?)

Comment

http://www.replacements.com/identify.htm
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

thanks! i just sent them an email with pics

Comment

I was going to recommend replacements as well - we used them a few years ago to find my MIL's crystal, they were great to work with.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Sylvia -

I also have Noritake from around that time. It was my Great Aunt's - and it's a whole set (not a chip to be seen!). I'm scared to death to use it b/c she managed to keep it intact for all that time ....

I perused replacements.com and ebay for awhile when we were REALLY broke and I was considering hocking it. It would have brought us a few grand ... but I decided against it.

Comment

jenn, this is in perfect condition as well. im excited to hear more about it.

glad you decided against selling it!

Comment

Re: china...not the country

i emailed these people last year and only got promotional things from them since. i have been searching the internet, looking and looking and i have no idea what the pattern name is.

anyhow, i have decided to sell the set. what would you pay for something like this. i have looked on ebay...and the prices REALLY vary.

thoughts?

thanks!

Comment

I'm sorry Sylvia. I do understand the inclination. I've got a cabinet full of the stuff that I have *NEVER* used, and have had times where I could definitely use the money. The problem is that you're going to have a hard time getting a good price for it. You'll get screwed over on ebay. Perhaps if you find the name of the pattern, you can troll for someone looking for replacement pieces? The fact that you haven't had much luck finding the pattern makes me think this may be one of noritake's more rare pieces. I'd hate to see you get undersold.

Comment

Call the Replacements people. Tell them that you sent them information and haven't heard back. They're usually much more responsive.

They'll buy it for you but you can usually do better selling it on ebay. But, first, you have to know the retail value.

Jenn

Comment

No, no, no Sylvia. Don't sell it. Find another way. In the long run, you will regret it. You can get through this time in other ways...but you'll never be able to replace this china.

Kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I have a Noritake tea set my Mom gave me when I was down for Dad's funeral. The pattern is Rosales and I love it. She has a 12 place setting in a different pattern that I will eventually inherit. I definately would not sell. My parents where stationed in Okinowa over 40 years ago. My older brother was born there so the fact she got it there makes it more special.

Comment

Very pretty indeed. I hope you keep your pieces.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                            X