Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Makai / Erica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makai / Erica

I was on the verge of hijacking your thread, so decided to start my own. I LOVE what you did in Kate's room, especially her bedding. I want to do the mix/match thing, but I'm scared!!!

So far I've bought

to use on the bumper, and a soft ivory chenile to use on the inside. I would love to do something mix/match with the crib skirt, but I'm afraid! I've got to make some decisions, b/c the IL's are coming a week from today and I've got to be ready w/stuff and directions to send home with MIL.

I'm planning to use a muted lavender for the walls, something like what Nellie did in Evie's room, which is Dusk to Dawn from Benjamin Moore.

Re: Makai / Erica

Ooh, I love that fabric!! I have to run right now, but I'll take a look at what other fabrics are in that line as soon as I have a chance.

Comment

Jenn, Here are the other fabrics in that color palette:

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products ... =19&flid=7

What about using the duck egg/french wallpaper fabric for the skirt? I don't know how the blue would go with the wall color....I can't remember what that color looked like. Or the pink/henn paisley might look nice, too.

If you want to see how the coriander fabric looks mixed with other fabrics, go to http://www.etsy.com and do a search for "Amy Butler coriander" and there are a few items that were made with a mix of the coriander fabric and other Amy Butler fabrics.

The inside of Kate's bumper is an ivory chenille, too!

Comment

Jenn I have this for my curtains in the pale green/blue. Just a word of caution I thought the background was ivory and it is indeed pale green. I didn't know till I received it. I still love it and it worked, but the color really doesn't show online well, as sometimes fabric colors do not (the one crappy thing about buying online.) I bought it from fabric.com and it didn't give the color name, my mistake not to look but it's call teal/corriander, but the swatch really looks ivory, and it's really not teal either IMO.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products ... =20&flid=7

Comment

Hmmm ... I'm almost thinking the corriander print should be the skirt, and a slightly busier but corresponding fabric should be on the outside of the bumper (following Makai's lead). I like

or

What do you guys think??

Julie - I learned the hard way about the colors / ordering online. I ordered originally planning to use that for the bumper, but the colors are a couple ticks sharper than I like IRL. So I now have 7 (yes, 7) yards of it. I'll just have MIL sew a bunch of stuff from it. Again - it's all about keeping her busy. I was silly to take a chance that the print on the Amy Butler fabric would be ivory, but I figured I'd always have good use for such soft, lovey fabric. Turns out it's a perfect match, so I was quite excited.

Remember - fabric.com via ebates and you get 5% back!

Comment

Jenn I like the second one, but I like bold prints, and the other is while a large print isn't as dominant, the off white on the green softens the look. I think if you want a clear stamp on the dominant fabric to be the bumper itself you should put the one with the most dominant
            over all color there. So to me the Corriander is of course dominant in pink and the second print show a dominant color of teal. The first print is just dominate by print size IMO. So if you used the first print I think your eye would be drawn down, which is fine of course. Then again it could look totally different with the fabrics side by side. But that's my opinion on the matter

Comment

I agree with Julie (I think). I think the second print would be great for the skirt. I like the Coriander and the second print. I'm not too into amebas.

Comment

Based on the Dusk to Dawn, I think these would look good: olive/acthanthus or olive/chrysanthemum (I like this one better between the two), lime oxford stripe (the lime is similar to bryn's room color).

I also like the orange chrysanthemum. Evie has a little doll with a skirt about that color of the orange that looks great against the wall. I'm not sure about that with the one you picked out.

And all of this is with the disclaimer of looking at it with the low brightness screen mode on my laptop!

Comment

Here's a naive question: how do these wash, if and when puke or poo get's on them? I love the bright colors and all but what about bleeding and the such? :huh:

Comment

it's cotton, and it's supposed to be prewashed before sewing so the shrinkage issue would already be taken care of. Davita (and lots of others) use the same material to make cute burp cloths, and some do clothes - so it's definitely washable.

Comment

You'll probably be removing the bumper when the baby becomes mobile, so I would make the skirt out of the fabric you like the best since the skirt will be on the crib longer.

I like the paisley fabric and would probably paint the walls a lighter shade of that blue....but I love blue.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                        Here's a naive question: how do these wash, if and when puke or poo get's on them? I love the bright colors and all but what about bleeding and the such? :huh:

These are extremely high quality fabrics, VERY color fast. I prewash all fabrics with those Shout color sheets, and I've thrown all kinds of brights, including reds of these type of fabrics and narry a color will end up on the shout sheet. Yet I can throw in clothes I washed several times, like jeans, and color will show up on them. But always, always, always prewash. My aunt made a lovely baby quilt for our DD, and I don't know where she picked up her fabrics, but the green (which was very little of the quilt) bled all over the pale pastel pink . I never had the heart to tell her, she hand quilted it.

Comment

Good point on the skirt being around longer than the bumper!

Do you mean the blue in the paisley or the blue in the french egg one?

I like the french egg but I think you would have to do a paint color other than Dusk to Dawn, Jenn. The color in Ev's room is more of a muted shade and they don't quite match -- I should run upstairs with this and look at them together to be sure.

Comment

I really like the paisely too - but Julie's observation about it looking kind of washed out is one I had too. I found this skirt on Etsy when I searched per your suggestion

and it does look a bit washed out to me.

Comment

On the link that Erica posted one of the inspiration ideas on the right side had those together on a handbag. I agree that it washes out a bit. Maybe switch and do the coriander for the skirt and then paisley for the bumper? Oh wait, you ordered enough for the bumper, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X