Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

basic sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic sewing machine?

I am a pretty good hand sewer but am clueless when it comes to sewing machines. Any recommendations on a decent beginner machine?

Re: basic sewing machine?

i have a brother sewing machine. i really like it. it's pretty basic, but has 50 or so differnt stiches to choose from. i got it from overstock.com

this is the one i have. good luck in your search!

http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/M ... =CE5000PRW
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I got a Singer from Wal-Mart at the beginning of med school. :huh: It has served me just fine. I did a lot of sewing on it the first year, but in the last 7 years I've used it mostly for light mending - just fixed DH's white coat with it yesterday, in fact.

Comment

Mine is a basic brothers - I'm not sure where I got it or the model but I'm sure it was less then $150 and it works great, I've used it on several different fabrics.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have a Brother and a Kenmore (do they even make those anymore?) I also recently helped a friend set up/learn her Singer. They are all easy to use, just in different ways. I have to say, I think the Brother stitches best.

Comment

I have a decent Janome and I love it. It's really easy to use....the stitches are selected digitally and it moves across the fabric nicely. A friend in town has a cheap Singer and she has tons of trouble with it....if she wants to sew something she cares about, she calls me to borrow my machine.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

It's nice to hear the good feedback about Brother machines. I've been borrowing my neighbor's machine, and while I know she doesn't mind, I feel as if I'm going to continue sewing I need to buy my own. I just don't want to spend a lot of $$ 'cause I'm not making anything fancy.

Comment

Seems like a lot of good feedback on the brother! I definitely want a very basic machine. A friend loaned me a Janome - and it a great machine, for someone who knew what they were doing I did that machine no justice.

Lily - I will keep an eye out for your review

Comment

I have a really basic Janome. It has been really easy for me to use (I'm just beginning). My mom, who is a very talented sewer (IMO), has a more expensive one. She said she loves it and hasn't had any problems with it. Several other ladies who sew highly recommended this brand to her.

Comment

I learned to sew on a basic Singer. I now have a Bernina (Activa 220) and *** HEART*** it! It's the basic model (though it's quite $$$ - it was a gift), BUT that said it's flat out, amazing. I did quite a bit of sewing on a Pfaff this summer, and I am totally unimpressed. It was the same price as the Bernina and it is like sewing on a dinosaur machine. Plenty of Singers could kick this machine in it's butt. My Bernina has some MAJOR milage on it, and I haven't even had it serviced in 4 years (hang head in shame, I know I need to send it in, but it's expensive!). It sews through an impressive amount of layers as well. The Pfaff in comparison, ran heavier, all stitches were put in manually, and had some other quirks. Singers are, IMO very good, as well as the Brother's. My aunt has a Kenmore, and quilts beautifully, and uses it quite a bit for machine piecing and loves it. Brother's also makes the higher end Babylock machines, very reliable. So here is my 2 cents on machines, buy the most you can, then upgrade later if you think you will become addicted to sewing. So if you get a Brother, Singer, Kenmore - put in the most money you can. The ones from Wal-Mart, will not have straight stitches, so go for the $150+ model. You want one with a button hole function, one with multiple stitches, one that comes with some feet, or you will end up shelling out money for zipper feet, ect that can end up costing more than a small upgrade. Also tip here, find a local Sew-N-Vac. They often have older machines, totally tuned up, for a good price. Some of those older Singers are hunted for because they are so reliable. So if you want to try a better than the cheapest model out, but don't want to pay more, go for a used machine. I can't recommend Sew-N-Vac enough, they are a great company.

GL, have any questions, ask away

Janome's are sappose to be good as well as Vikings, but I've never sewn on either.

Comment

I have an old Kenmore that my mother in-law gave me as a birthday present years ago. It runs great. I had it serviced for the first time. It does really basic sewing- straight stitch, zig-zag, rick-rack, button holes, etc. I don't do a lot of sewing mending and baby rag quilts are about it.
                      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                      X