Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Quilters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilters?

I've pieced exactly one quilt top. However, I have hand quilted a couple of quilts. My mom is a professional long-arm quilter (meaning she has the big machine that cost more than my car) so if I were to make another, I would probably ask her to do the quilting for me. I've discovered that I am a knitter not a quilter.
    Kris

Re: Quilters?

I used to be, but I havent in a while. I made double wedding ring queen size quilts for both my sisters for their weddings and I have made myself a lone star quilt. I made several others but those were the shining stars of the lot. I hand quilt them- either in the ditch or using a stencil- the hand quilting is what takes me so long. Piecing the top is fairly quick. It can take me up to an hour to hand quilt just one block depending on how detailed the stencil is. I always use 100% cotton batting that I dont prewash- I like the look of it after the whole quilt is washed.

I taught myself how so I make a lot of self taught mistakes. One of my best friend's mother is an awesome quilter, featured in magazines, and we have had quilting bees together and she has had tons of advice for me.

I do love to quilt, actually I love the finished product the most, but kind of binged on it, I have been doing all kinds of sewing tutorials of kids clothes lately.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I make quilts every now and then and have always haad them professionally machine quilted. I like picking the colors and the sewing the top the most. I remember now that I have done some hand-quilting when recovering from a surgery many years ago. I appreciate quilts though and love to go to local quilt shows/competitions.

Comment

I quilt off an on. I do my own thing, break all the rules, and am happy about it My aunt is actually an amazing quilter. I learned some from her. She gave lessons for years. I'm hardly as good as her, my hand stitching sucks. But... I hope to get better over the years. I am freed by Gees Bend and those amazing women. If that is quilting, and honored for individuality then I can have a blind eye to my non-uniform stitches. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
          So how much does it cost to send the top off to be professionally machine quilted? Do they charge by the hour or size?

I want to make twin quilts for the girl's room. This summer I'm decorating their room (once DD2 is out of a crib) and I want the quilts to be the (bright) focal point of the room. I'm also looking for antique iron twin bed frames too. Kinda orphan Annie type bed frames.
          I know my mom charges by the square inch. http://www.threesistersquilting.com/pricing.htm

She does to work all over the country, but if you check out a local quilt shop, they probably have leads to someone in your area.
          Kris

Comment

I've been quilting and finishing them myself by machine. But, I am really tempted to either send them off to be professionally finished OR just clear out my big garage for a long-arm machine of my own!
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Me, me! I love quilting. I generally machine quilt. This hasn't been a problem since I've never ventured beyond a twin sized quilt. I'm contemplating doing a queen sized quilt for DH and I to use in the summer. That might challenge my machine. I love strip quilting. It is so cool to quickly piece together elaborate patterns. It appeals to the analyst in me.

Have fun with it. I think quilting is very soothing. It is my knitting, I guess. Knitting just frustrates me to no end.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X