Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Selling on etsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling on etsy

I've been toying with the idea for a while of making and selling chocolates on etsy. Has anyone sold on etsy before? I'm kinda wondering if there are any laws about selling food...ie can I use my home kitchen? I'll have to look into that further.

I'll have to put a lot more work in making aesthetically pleasing chocolate. A plain truffle ball or shards of toffee won't cut it. (ahem, those of you have received what I've made know what I mean, lol)

Is it a stupid idea? (ETA: yes, it probably is given that I have four young children, go to school, and still have to unpack, paint and decorate this stinkin' house...)

I don't know about etsy but I think the kitchen rule is state by state. My MIL can't sale from her home kitchen in KS but I can in MN.

I don't think its silly at all, if you have a good recipe and its something you enjoy doing then go for it!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'll buy your stuff, etsy or no etsy.

Comment

I don't think it is stupid at all. Are there other food items sold on there? Oh no, another possible Etsy addiction! You could also look into renting commercial kitchen space -- that is what a lot of the farmer's market vendors do.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I researched it some last night and trying to read NY's official websites gave me an honest-to-God headache. Nellie, I was reading some legal forums where they proposed exactly what you did. I think it's a great idea, except what a flippin' pita. Also read another suggestion that I could label it as "made in an uncertified kitchen" or something to that effect. I would likely go that route if allowable. I can't see shlepping all my crap to an ELKs club for one order of truffles. Especially when I have this brand new fabulous kitchen. (btw, I am chomping at the bit to make toffee on the induction top!!)

I guess my point for this venture is to see if it's something I could potentially make into a career. (would I enjoy doing it? will people like it or think it's kinda meh?) I've got a lot of experimenting to do!!

To answer the etsy question - yep, they sell LOTS of candy on there. I lurve that website.

Comment

Did not need to know that! (About candy on etsy)

I like the "made in a non-certified kitchen" label. If that will fly, I think it is the way to go. The commercial kitchen rental can be a pita, especially if you have to take odd hours to get a spot. Once you got going on it, you could have and keep up an inventory rather than making it to order and list what you have on hand. I want to know how toffee goes on the induction cooktop. Firsthand knowledge would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
              Firsthand knowledge would be best.
              Hah, you know your name is all over that inaugural batch. I still owe Jenn and Angie, too!

Don't look at the pictures on etsy <drool>

Comment

Working...
              X