Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Decorating a Onesie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating a Onesie

Wasn't sure how to title this thread, but I will try to explain what I am looking for.

My best friend from college is expecting a little girl in July, and her shower is coming up in May. We went to a women's college, one that still (sort of) exists in a different form. There used to be a ton of college apparel available for purchase in the campus bookstore, but sadly, there isn't really anything available anymore. This includes items for students, alumna, and family members (parents/kids). This is disappointing for a lot of reasons, but it means that I can't buy any college apparel for my friend's little girl.

I thought that perhaps I could make college apparel for the baby. I've been thinking about something along the lines of the college seal and "future *alma mater* alumna" on a onesie. I am completely untalented when it comes to anything crafty outside of coloring books, lol. So I thought I would turn to the experts for advice. I'm willing to have something handmade, but don't know how to go about it. Should it be embroidered or iron-on? The college seal is a little detailed, as its Greek motto is in really small print. Is that possible to do or would it be better to just have "future *alma mater* alumna" instead? And any advice on who could make it for me??

Thanks in advance!
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

If you do an iron on you could do it yourself. You print the logo on this:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/...0-225-121.html

Print it, and then iron it on. It really wouldn't be hard.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

You could also get a onesie in one of the school colors, embroidery thread in the other color and embroider the school name on it. I did this for a friend's baby shower (one of the "games" was to decorate a onesie) and it turned out VERY cute. I'm not super-duper crafty, at all. I saw the activity and my only creative thought was to start sticking the needles in my eye. Yeah, THAT un-crafty.

Comment

I've taken a few similar items to an embroiderer. I plan to do "I spit up on Longhorns" for a fellow Sooner's soon-to-arrive baby.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I third the suggestion for an embroiderer. Iron-ons don't always fare well in the washer/dryer.
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Have you ever heard for freezer paper stenciling? Several of the craft blogs that I read do this type of stenciling all of the time and I think that you could do that for this project too. Here is a link that I found by doing a google search for freezer paper stenciling - http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/how-t...a-stencil.html. There are also some you tube videos.

If the seal is tricky - or you don't have to patience to cut out something that small - you could do the 'future alumni' idea. Print that out on regular printer paper and then either trace that onto the freezer paper or put the computer paper on top of the freezer paper and cut through both papers with your xacto knife at the same time.
            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

The freezer paper idea is super cute! I recently decided to start making similar items for soon-to-be born babies and taught myself to embroider. There's are tons of youtube videos that show you exactly how to do the stitches and it is super addicting once you get the hang of it. You can freehand designs or you can print them and trace them to tissue paper to use as the pattern for the onesie, but it would be easier to stick to "future alumna" as opposed to the college seal if you went this route.

Comment

I just realized that I never replied back to this thread that I started, oops!

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips, I will definitely keep them in mind whenever I need to make a t-shirt or something for a friend's baby or perhaps even my own baby.

I realized not long after I wrote this that I have a friend who works for a graphic design company that does all sorts of banners, trophies, and t-shirts! So I went to visit her and I showed her my college seal and we talked about some design ideas. She vetoed embroidery because the backing they put on it can irritate baby's skin, even after a couple of washings. So it will be a screen print and it should be done in time for the shower next month, yay!
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I ended up having a onesie embroidered at EmbroidMe. SO EXPENSIVE--I'd go to a private owner next time. In Oklahoma is was 1/2 the price.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                  X