Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Crochet or knit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crochet or knit?

I really want to be able to make something out of fabric, but I suck at sewing. No patience for it and I can't follow a pattern to save my life. What about crocheting or knitting? How hard are they to learn?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
    I really want to be able to make something out of fabric, but I suck at sewing. No patience for it and I can't follow a pattern to save my life. What about crocheting or knitting? How hard are they to learn?
    I've tried to learn to crochet several times; I know I could do it, but for some reason it just doesn't stick. Plus, except for amigarumi, I like the look of most knitted things better than crocheted anyway (there are exceptions, of course, and there are times I really wish I knew how to crochet better).

Knitting, on the other hand, I didn't find difficult; I found a "how to knit" book and taught myself from that (pre-internet); I'm sure you could find tutorials online with tons of pictures, or videos, or better yet, buy some needles and yarn and find a local get-together and go ask for help (if they're not eager to teach a newbie, they're not a group you want to hang with anyway).

Although, if patience and following patterns is the problem, I can tell you that knitting takes WAY more patience than sewing, unless you're doing REALLY small things, and you're still mostly following patterns. It's more portable, though, and easy to pick up and put down without getting tons of "stuff" out. And it can be more social.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I learned how to crochet as a kid (pretty sure it was because of snow days). However, I got the itch to knit in college and haven't looked back. I too like the look of knitted items better, but I think knowing both helps.

When I wanted to learn, I had also gotten a book from the library and was completely confused. I went in to one of the local knit shops and the little old lady sold me a skein of wool, some needles and sat me down to teach the very basics. I was sold.

Now, I can't count the number of things that I have knit and my very favorite things to make are socks. They take forever but are so cozy!
      Kris

Comment

I taught myself crochet in college, and made a couple of acrylic blankets but although I tried to learn knitting it didn't really stick. It was during the med school years that I was bored home on call nights, and cold since we couldn't afford to heat the house or pay for parking (so I was standing at a lot of bus stops). I learned -- I think from a fellow bus rider -- about local yarn stores (LYSes), so I browsed through Susan Yarns in the Heights, and caught the fiber bug HARD. I've been knitting regularly ever since. I learn pretty easily from the written word, and I liked the Maggie Righetti books for both knitting and crochet. But as noted, you can surely find an LYS or other meetup/stitch-n-bitch with friendly people or inexpensive classes to get you started! Let me know if you want me to check Ravelry for you!
        Alison

Comment

A coworker is a knitting/ crochet wizard at a shop near work. I'll start with her! I'm sort of hesitant to start another hobby when I already never seem to have enough time though. Maybe during lent when I do my social media blackout
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            A coworker is a knitting/ crochet wizard at a shop near work. I'll start with her! I'm sort of hesitant to start another hobby when I already never seem to have enough time though. Maybe during lent when I do my social media blackout
            Does your social media blackout include IMSN?? :O
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Probably. I haven't started yet though, and I do the version of Lent where you cheat on Sundays. I've just recently realized exactly how much time I spend on forums, Facebook, and blogs (and occasionally how worked up some get me) and it is probably time to step back a little. But not quite yet! Past experience has told me when I give up something during Lent or through other situations, I am usually able to reintroduce it into my life in a healthier way.

Comment

I love knitting! It's easy once you get the hang of it. You can totally do it!!
                -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

sweet! It might be awhile, but I'll be back with questions

Comment

I learned to knit once when I was a kid, once in college, once a few years ago, and again a couple months ago. It never stuck until this time, but after watching a couple videos it was like riding a bike... I'm still only doing the basics, but the first thing I did this time was get myself some big circular needles and thick yarn, and knitted a couple chunky infinity scarves. The enjoyment of finishing something so quickly and easily has made me enjoy it a lot more. I highly recommend something like that as a first project!
                    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I just finished these the other day after they had languished for far too long.
                      Kris

Comment

Those socks are awesome!

I'm the opposite. I found crocheting easy but have yet to figure out knitting. I completely agree with finding a shop or group to knit/crochet with. And I taught myself via a Crochet for Kids kit.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Kris those are awesome!!!

Comment

I'm a knitter too - I tried to learn to crochet as a kid and never could get the tension right, but knitting came pretty easy to me. Now I can crochet some, but I much prefer knitting. Ravelry.com is a good place to check out for patterns, advice, etc. I'd also recommend the videos on knittinghelp.com - that's how I learned most of my knitting after my mom taught me the basics.
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                            X