Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Learn how to knit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's the difference between crocheting and knitting? Which is easier to learn? Which is more cersatile
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Learn how to knit!

Crocheting is done with one hook and knitting is done with two needles.

I tend to think that knitting is more versatile. But, that's because that is my preferred hobby.
      Kris

Comment

I tried to learn crochet first and never really got the hang of it. I find knitting a lot easier, and I prefer the look of knitted objects over crochet, generally. I feel like I can do more with it. There are a few things that are better as crochet though, like a lot of round things.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          So what's the difference between crocheting and knitting? Which is easier to learn? Which is more cersatile
          They have pros and cons. I found crochet easier to learn. That might be because I saw someone crocheting when I was growing up, but never saw anyone knitting so the movements were more foreign. Crochet makes a thicker fabric than knitting for a given weight of yarn, and it is basically like a series of knots -- very textured. It makes nice lacy open fabrics (doilies, beach covers, blankets). It can be sort of inflexible, and the texture doesn't make a nice fabric for garments if it's just solid crochet (IMO). But it can be great for forming bobs and bumps as you go, sort of free-form...amigurumi stuffed animals are adorable.

I think having the knack from crochet of holding a stick and tensioning the yarn helped make knitting easier to figure out. Knitting makes a nice flexible fabric (typically v's on one side and a smooth pattern of bumps on the other side). It can make garments more like typical storebought sweaters. You can make fairly fine-gauge fabrics, and socks that are fine enough to fit in shoes and smooth enough not to feel weird and bumpy on your feet. Or you can make big chunky thick and warm statement accessories.

I pretty much quit crocheting once I got good at knitting, but I've been thinking of giving it a whirl again.

If you join Ravelry you can see a database of patterns for each craft and see which ones really drive you to want to make something like that.
          Alison

Comment

I crochet, mom knits. Maybe with my free time, I'll try to learn to knit again. I couldn't get it the last time I tried. Then again, I'm very basic in my crocheting. I did make a couple of stuffed animals for the kids though.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
            X