Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ugh, knitting attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, knitting attack!

I'm making a baby cardigan for someone who's due next month. I bought fancy yarn for it and it is SO gorgeous and lovely to work with. I'm making a popular free pattern from Ravelry, the Puerperium Cardi. I'm about 4 inches in, just 3 increase rows away from splitting for the sleeve, when I realizeā€¦this freakin' thing has a symmetric neck. The front and back are the same height. I went and looked at project photos on Rav, and sure enough, every.single.one. has the sweater bunched up under baby's neck.

It's an insanely soft yarn (Malabrigo superwash merino, swoon), so it shouldn't bother baby to have it rubbing her neck all the time. But now that I've noticed it, I am annoyed. I either want to rip back and add short rows, or just rip it all out and start over. But I probably should just finish it, because I really wanted a nice handknit gift for this baby.

What would you do?
    Alison

Ugh. That is annoying. I hate to say it, but I would probably rip back and start over and give the front a few more rows so it doesn't do that. What's a few extra hours of knitting, after all? You'll still definitely be done in time, and you'll be happier with it.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I've been known to rip back tons of knitting to fix little things.

Sent from Tapatalk
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Me too, but all too often I end up stalling out on the project after something like that. And anyway, to fix the shaping on this I'd need to rip it almost completely out, at which point I'd be pondering a different pattern, and…ugh. The yarn is so beautiful!
        Alison

Comment

Now I'm wishing I had brought some knitting with me... Didn't have much time to pack and didn't plan on staying for too long.

Sent from Tapatalk
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I'm sorry, of all the times for you to need your hands occupied. Can I send you a care package with stuff to make something non-gauge dependent like a little hat, or can your DH send you a project from home?

It doesn't help that this sweater has 7 buttons. The button decision usually stalls me as well, but my LYS has an awesome button bar with all kinds of antique buttons so I was hopeful that I could push through and make that decision without too much hassle…this hangup has me second-guessing the buttons as well though. Meh. I guess I'll search out some other pattern choices and ponder a little bit before I proceed.
            Alison

Comment

I may get out this afternoon and buy something. I don't have needles or anything with me.

Sent from Tapatalk

Comment

Well, let me know, I can totally send you needles too.
                Alison

Comment

I will, thanks!

Sent from Tapatalk

Comment

I'd rip too. It would piss me off to leave it.
                    Kris

Comment

I think I've decided to rip it all out and start a Seamless Kimono (paid pattern I bought a couple of years ago) instead. I wasn't going to use it for this one because I didn't have a good trim yarn, but I think I found some that will work perfectly. Now to steel myself for the ripping, and to do a little math -- the pattern calls for worsted at 5 spi but my yarn is more of a DK and I like the fabric I was getting at 5.5 spi. Hopefully knitting the 3 mos size will get me a little sweater that's not TOO tiny, but doesn't use more than my one skein of yarn or take a million years either.
                      Alison

Comment

Here's the pattern: http://carinaspencer.com/shop/seamless-kimono-nb-2t/

There's a tie on the inside to keep the overlapping fronts closed. It's super simple but that's why I think I'll actually get it finished before the baby arrives (babies plural actually, I've got another one already on the needles for a boychild due in June.)
                        Alison

Comment

Working...
                        X