Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all exercise experts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all exercise experts....

I've been walking/hiking regularly with my dog for about 6 mos now. It's been a great weight loss stimulant. Now that it is winter, I've been hiking mostly in mud and some snow. I got a good pair of winter hiking boots so I could keep at it through this season. Here's the thing. When I hike in goo (mud or snow) with my boots on, I come away with major soreness in my hips. Is that good (as in I'm going to finally have slim hips) or bad (as in injury is possible) ? The boots are much heavier than regular hiking shoes - and the ground does kind of suck at your feet. I have been thinking that this will rev up my exercise program by changing the stresses on my body - but now I'm wondering if I'm just hurting myself. The terrain is mildly hilly and I hike about 4 miles a day. It's been about 2 weeks with the new boots and I don't notice it getting any better.

Any thoughts? My outer hips and backside are aching - and the yoga isn't helping anymore.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Hi Angie,
    Funny, this same exact thing happens to me when I go hiking - my hips start to hurt usually right in the hip flexor muscles. I couldn't tell from your post whether this began when you got new shoes or if it's been progressing over time. If you think it's the shoes you may want to consider getting fitted for a better hiking shoe or including some kind of insole depending on whether or not you need better arch support, heel placement etc. If your feet aren't in a proper position it's safe to assume that your hip/glute muscles could be compensating in some way for it. It also could be simply too much hiking uphill. Some strength training might help? Oh, I forgot to add: When I experience this, it's not the good soreness that comes with just getting in better shape. It's like overuse soreness that hurts!
    When this happens to me I stop frequently to stretch my hip flexor and psosas muscles. I do lunge pose without the arms focusing on stretching the front of my hip. But it only gives me temporary relief. I know you said yoga isn't helping anymore but I included this in case you haven't tried this one.
    http://yoga.about.com/od/yogasequences/ ... aute_3.htm

Sorry, I'm not much help...I've often wondered why this happens and am curious to hear if others have good advice.

Comment

I am not sure this is good advice, but here is a piece of personal experience:

When I run (running shoes) on snow (especially if it's hard packed) it's really harsh on my body and, indeed, especially on my hips.

Walking with hiking boots, even good one, on uneven terrain, at a brisk pace, could easily do the same.

I don't think however that the solution is to stop, although you do need to be careful not to aggravate your condition. You might want to stick to paved or cleared routes for the moment though... Hip issues are not issues you want to have.

I think you have to find strengthening exercises that will strengthen your hip flexors and core, and maybe also improve joint stability (knees). This will prevent injuries. Pilates classes might help more than yoga, but the best thing if you can afford it could be a session with a kinesiotherapist. Even just one one-hour session might be helpful to teach your exercises.

Or perhaps, first, just try putting on heavy wool socks and putting on hiking or running or walking shoes instead of boots. If you just go for shortish walks (less than 30 minutes) you can put a plastic bag around your feet before you put your shoes on to prevent your feet from getting wet. (If it's more than 30 minutes you could get wet and cold from perspiration...) When you come home, put newspaper in your shoes to dry them faster...

I hope this helps!! Don't think that the hip pain will lead to gain!

Comment

It is a recent thing. That's why it has me confused. I have been doing great with my general physical condition since I started this plan. I have been able to walk further and faster. I even started running part of the trail before the wet weather set in.

I've only recently started the hip focused yoga program. I was hoping for immediate relief :> but I suppose that's not likely. I'll continue with the stretches and see if that helps. Thanks for the additional info!

I hadn't considered core strength. I'm sure my core has been in steady decline. Around the time I started the hiking thing, I gave up my core exercises. I can't seem to do both. *sigh* Maybe I should cut back the hike to 45 minutes or less and devote 30 minutes to strength/core stuff.

I'll let you know if anything magically works. I used to be able to throw in a few triangle poses and some seated twists to my daily yoga and feel good as new. It's different this time.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
        X