Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I HATE the gym....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE the gym....

Not going to weigh myself, I know that it's the highest it's ever been! I weigh more now than the day I gave birth to any of the 3 munckins....
    I have decided that enough is enough, I have gone from a size 8 to a 12 and this is where it needs to stop. It has started to affect my self confidence, not cool! The problem for me really isn't eating (I'm not drawn to fatty foods and don't eat a lot at any one time) except snacking at night. I HATE exercise...always have, it's never been an issue before now. I was a competitive swimmer and have thought about starting to do laps again...I love yoga so am going to try to go at least 3 times a week to at least get to the gym. (yep, I realize this is not going to help lose weight) but I need real exercise, any suggestions?

Hi Sarah!

I can't remember where in Canada you are but if at all possible I would strongly suggest cycling. (From what I read it would be possible even in Eastern Canada right now!!!)

It's not weight-bearing like, say, running, it takes you places, and you don't have to wear a swimsuit. It's important that you get a decent bike if you don't have one yet, not anything from Canadian Tire or Walmart, please... For $350 you can get something really nice (like a Trek 7200 hybrid for example) that will work well and not break all the time, and fit you (if you buy it from a shop they should make sure of that).

This being said, you can also think of what happened that is different between now (size 12) and before (size 8). I think sedentarity is a BIG culprit for more people. We take our cars to go everywhere, the remote to change channels, put the dishes in the dishwasher instead of spending half an hour on our two feet, etc. Instead of going to the gym (yuck!) it's so much nicer to walk to the corner store to get milk, or cycle to get groceries, to the post office, to the doctor's appointment. With the proper equipment it's totally doable. If you have kids at home, it's a great way to show them how to be resourceful and active, and to value being in decent shape. It takes a bit more time, but then you don't necessarily have to get a workout in all the time, and who said life should be fast anyway?

Ladybug is right about music by the way. Please don't do it while cycling (even on a bike path), but for walking and running (if you are so inclined) it makes things much easier. Some study documented that women who started a running program with a MP3 player (music, or podcasts if you like, etc.) were more likely than keep doing it than those without. It takes your mind away from the pain I think. It worked for me. Now I hear certain songs and my legs want to go out for a run!!!
    8)

Those are just some ideas. Hope this helps!!

Comment

I agree with Ladybug, don't do anything you hate. Swimming and yoga are great exercise. For yoga, you can try "poweryoga" or ashtanga yoga which are on the more aerobic end of things (compared to hatha). For swimming, its terrific exercise but it is the slowest "body changing" exercise. I am a swimmer too and that doesn't bother me but just prepare yourself for slower physical results - - though still immediate health benefits.

If you find you can deal with running, there is nothing that changes your body more quickly. I only run once, maybe twice a week since its so high-impact but that run makes the difference in my bottom line so to speak.

Comment

Things that help me:
        -Paying for a group class. Not only do I have support from other women, but I paid for it so I better go!
        -Finding songs that make you want to get up and dance!! If you put your headphones on with some upbeat favorite songs, that'll help you jump on a treadmill and you'll be less bored. I like "i feel love" by the Blue Man Group
        -and once you get into the routine, you'll start to crave a workout because you'll start feeling better and healthier.

Comment

What about taking walks? You said you have 3 children.....this could be something fun for all of you. I agree with everyone else. Do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy anything in particular right now keep trying new things until you find something that really clicks!

Comment

One more thing I agree with Karrotkake...try your best to get into the routine of working out. Once you start, you can't stand not working out. After your body gets used to it you have so much more energy.

Comment

I agree with everyone. Stick with something you like but also mix it up. And don't make excuses. Workout in the morning or go straight from work to the gym. Try to embrace what you get from working out: stress relief, endorfins that give you a good feeling and a sense of acomplishment. As a yoga instructor and a group ex instructor, I recommend focusing on cardio and yoga. there is plenty of yoga that combines flexibility and strength - you can get both from yoga. yoga is diverse enough that you can get just about everything you need from it.
              another thing you can do is join a more expensive health club. the truth is: if you are paying more money for a really great place that offers a LOT more, you are more likely to workout!!!!! towel service, better quality instructors can make a HUGE difference in your workouts!
              OH I forgot, stop weighing yourself. It's not an accurate measure of how healthy you because it doesn't account for fat weight, water weight etc. FOCUS on how you feel and how your clothes fit.
              Seriously, once you begin to FEEL the benefits of exercise you will stop hating the gym and crave it!

Comment

Working...
              X