Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What type of yoga do you prefer and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of yoga do you prefer and why

I've had get back to a yoga class on my list. I miss it and tapes or DVDs just don't do it for me like an instructor. My favorite is Hatha yoga. I don't like Bikrim yoga -- that is the hot one right? I did that for a bit and hyperextended my shoulder. The heat works but yeouch.

What are all the different types? I've never done yoga before but I love pilates.

I always figured I'm not one of those "Ommm" type people....

Comment

Vinyasa Flow. That's my favorite -- but now that I'm getting old and creaky, I'm also enjoying "Restorative" yoga. So undemanding. :>
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I prefer Hatha. I am very particular about my instructor. I have instructors that stand in the front and show me all they can do. My favorite classes are th eones where the instructor is contantly moving around the the class making sure that the participants are in proper alignment. Yoga should never hurt. I feel a little soreness sometimes but never pain.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Here's a little background:

Kundalini is the "grandfather" of yoga- basically the rest stem from KY. Kundalini has a much bigger emphasis on breathing than some of the others. It can have challenging poses, but some classes are more relaxing than others. There's also a 'gong' meditation offered in many studios which is fantastic because you can hear and feel the vibrations as you lie on the floor.

Hatha yoga is what most people think of when they think of yoga. It's emphasis is on poses and breathing. The classes will vary each time although there are usually a series of poses that will start class.

Vinyasa is Hatha yoga in a repetative manner- you build on the series of movements repetitively until you do the entire 'flow' of movement without stopping. I find it to be too repetitive but my friend the neonatalogist loves the fact that it requires no thinking, just doing.

Bikram is the hot yoga. It's done in rooms that are set at about 103 degrees. As Nellie said, the heat really helps to relax the muscles and it's very tempting to push yourself further than you should. Bikram also does the same series of movements in every class. (also- classes can be very stinky...)

There are huge differences in and among classes and instructors. Yoga classes held at gyms are usually taught by fitness instructors certified to teach that particular kind of yoga. Yoga classes held in yoga studios are usually taught by practitioners of that kind of yoga and certified by the yoga associations. One is not necessarily better than the other- it's more of a lifestyle choice. I prefer to take yoga in yoga studios because I find the atmosphere is usually much more relaxed. (I hated being in a yoga class and hearing weights being dropped and the BeeGees on in the background...)

There are lots of other kinds of classes and types of yoga, too. I like to try out different kinds by renting them through Netflix as well. I found a great candlelight yoga done by the Crunch studios that way.

Jenn

PS- I'm restarting my certification in KY again this fall.

Comment

Ashtanga Yoga is my favorite. I can't seem to sit still ever and holding poses just makes me crazy. In Ashtanga, you have a series you follow and it flows nicely. You don't hold poses as much and keep moving a bit more.

I teach pilates myself and thats what I love about it. Pilates has few repetitions but you keep moving. Also, I like the whole toning thing too...

Comment

The only type I've tried is Bikram, and I really liked it, though the studio was way too far away to go regularly, and there isn't one nearby here, either *pout*
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'v enjoyed Bikram myself. The studio is 'close' but there's no daycare so until I'm finished w/ this single parenting gig, there's no yoga for me.

and man, I could use some soothing and gentle thoughts and movements- and some kick ass sweat dripping everywhere movements, too.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                  and man, I could use some soothing and gentle thoughts and movements- and some kick ass sweat dripping everywhere movements, too.

Jenn
                  :>
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I just tried to sign up for Hatha Yoga (free at our Y!!) and...they cancelled the class due to construction.

The only other time I tried yoga I was totally turned off after one class because the whole room smelled of baaad BO. Ew.

Comment

How did I miss this post?
                      I have been practicing astanga yoga on and off over the past couple of years. I absolutely love it.
                      The practice involves a specified sequence of poses, and emphasises matching your breath with your movements. It is unbelievably relaxing but at the same time physically challenging.
                      Whichever type of yoga you choose, finding a good studio and especially a good instuctor is so important and makes all the difference. For astanga I think it is better to take some classes first to get the hang of the breathing and learn some of the sequence. I miss my yoga! By the time I feel well enough to do it again I'll probably be too pregnant!

Comment

Bugs-

Gurmurkh has a supposedly fantastic pre-natal yoga dvd out. Apparently she's the 'go-to' yogi in Hollywood for 'natural' birthing techniques. She's a kundalini instructor so I imagine there would be a lot of breathing techniques and unique meditations.

Can't hurt to find it on netflix or something.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                        X