Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Taming the post-partum beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taming the post-partum beast

That would be the post c-section belly I am referring to. After my last pregnancy, my belly is beyond pathetic. It is flaccid and loose and just plain yuck. I read in some fitness mag that standard crunches are not the key to tight abs that everyone thinks they are.

So what is, then? I bought myself one of those Swiss balls a few years back. I have yet to use it , but I am wondering if that might work?

I know....

Comment

surgery? :huh:

someday, when im a rich dawkters wife, im having it all cut off/out. :>
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
        surgery? :huh:

someday, when im a rich dawkters wife, im having it all cut off/out. :>
        ITA! There's no other choice for this jelly roll.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I don't know, I just want to say those are some winsome little expressions your girls have, BonBon.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

First:

the skin itself- not a whole lot you can do if it's super stretched. Skin doesn't have the ability to come back like other parts of our bodies

Second:

the underlying muscles- first, remember it's a dual pronged process- you have to elminate the fat at the same time you're firming up the muscles.

Remember, too that the abdominal muscles separate so that baby has some place to go (or babies...) and like all things human, they never quite go back together perfectly. That said, we have all seen plenty of people who have a lovely abdominal area after having bajillions of kids.

As for which types of exercises work- it takes a variety, and it takes commitment AND it takes time. Crunches can work but you have to change up how you do them. There are awesome ab dvds out there- pilates, yoga, the Crunch studios, Shape magazine- they all have different versions. The key is to just do it and not expect to SEE results for a while. and at least for most of us, the stomach, hips, thighs are the LAST areas that will see improvement. (the first place you gain weight is the last place it will come off)

jenn

Comment

I have an abs video by Cathe Friedrich (anything by her is an outstanding workout- pretty hardcore), and she uses alot of pushups (about 120) as a warm up and throughout the workout. I have noticed that my obliques are sore after doing many pushups. I'm no exercise physiologist, but I think that having to hold the pushup position (keeping the back straight) is the crux of the benefit. The abs have to be tight to keep the back from sagging. I have ditched the video because it takes too long, but I do 150 pushups a night, and feel like I have stronger abs, back, and arms.

I have a friend who I run marathons with and we started doing the pushup program a year and 1/2 ago, and she went from a size 16 post partum to a size 2. However, her belly still has lose skin, but as Jenn said, exercise won't cure that. She looks totally hot, though.

Comment

Working...
              X